Do I need a supply of fuses for a long trip?

Do I need a supply of fuses for a long trip in a Sienna? How often do they fail? I'm sure a couple of extra 15 amp ones for the outlets would make sense. Any other ones that may become vital?

Joe

Reply to
joe

Haven't had one fail in decades...

Reply to
dizzy

You can get an assortment of fuses for minimal cost if you would like to give yourself a margin of error.

Fuses generally do not fail often unless someone hooks something up incorrectly or overloads a circuit.

There should be a couple of spare fuses and a fuse puller in one of the fuse panel covers, probably the one in the dash.

I do not wish to offend you, but judging from the questions you are asking, you have very little experience working with cars but you have a desire to learn more. I recommend checking out your local library or book store for a book about basic automotive systems, and then consider taking an evening auto shop class at your local high school, junior college, or technical school. Most of the auto shop instructors I've met have good knowledge of doing basic maintenance and repair work and fair theoretical knowledge about more complex automotive systems but are a little shy on experience working for an automaker or production shop.

Reply to
Ray O

Great advice! I may do that myself. Thanks!

Reply to
Built_Well

I signed up for one of those evening auto shop classes once and left after the first session because it was a little too basic for me. If your experience and knowledge of how a car works is limited, then I highly recommend those classes.

The classes cover subjects like the purposes of the 4 cycles of a 4 cycle engine, the low and high voltage sides of the ignition system, 12 volt wiring systems, the charging system, brakes, how to safely jack up and work under a car, and maintenance.

Another advantage of those classes for some people is access to tools and equipment they may not have and a shop to work on the car for a class project.

Reply to
Ray O

In my 40 years of driving, I've only had to replace one fuse on a trip, and that was because of a short in the trailer wire harness connector that took out the dash lights.

It's a good idea to carry a couple of every size as a general rule. But, the "long trip" ought not enter into the decision to carry them. A long trip and a bunch of short trips should consume the same number of fuses -- none.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland