Do tires influence crosswind stability (or lack thereof)

I've recently taken a couple of trips in my 2004 Scion Xb and unlike other cars I've had in the past the Scion seems to be unduly affected by crosswinds -- any sort of wind in fact. The tires are generic "General" or something similar and are nearly new. I've had the alignment done (not needed according to the mechanic but he did it anyway), but that didn't seem to help. According to my son, the problem is with the lack of aerodynamism (is that a word?) and nothing short of buying a better car (he recommends a Porsche Boxter ) will introduce the stability I want. Well, maybe. What do you guys think?

As an aside I was most impressed by the Scion's performance in the snow over the last month or so. All those guys digging out, and the Scion just climbs over the mounds and leaves them in the dust...er, snow. I watched a 4wd Ford SUV just spinning his wheels fruitlessly in about 3 inches of snow. Must gladden the heart of the monkey one sees from time to time around these NG's.

Reply to
Skeptic

Have you stood back and looked at your xB?

It is a High Profile Vehicle. The thing is a brick on wheels. It has all of the design features of a motorhome, tall sides, square front and back.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I don't think an alignment or tire replacement will make any difference in how the xB reacts to the wind. Your son is correct, a more aerodynamic car will be more stable in the wind. The Porsche Boxter doesn't have a back seat - get a Panamera or a tC.

Reply to
Ray O

The main problem is that you're driving a big box. That will make the wind problem a lot worse. The suspension plays a role too. I am sure if you get different tires, that will make a difference, but you will still have the problem.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Doesn't even have to be a box. I noticed more wind effects with my old 89 Accord than I do my 05 Corolla. And the Accord seemed lower, and had a fairly low front end, hood, etc. It was quite quite prone to blowing around a bit in strong winds. You notice a little wind with the Corolla, but it's not quite as strong. And it actually feels taller than the Accord did. I think it's the shape, and the very low sort of tear drop shape of the front of the Corolla that helps. The front of it is so low I don't even see the hood unless I lift my head up a bit. But you easily saw the hood of the Accord when driving as it was more straight out. BTW, that car had the hideaway headlights that popped up at night. And no, I don't see how tires would have much effect at all unless the sidewalls were really flexing. And even that would not make much difference being as the tread is still holding the road. I had slapped new tires on the Accord not too long before I sold it, and it made no difference at all as far as wind. And I wouldn't expect it to, unless the wind is so strong as to blow the tires off their normal tracks. :/

Reply to
nm5k