Do you care if the ice caps melt?

Honestly, do you care?

I know some people take it quite serious. The truth is that if Greenland were to melt along with the ice caps, that the oceans would rise 19 to 24 feet (depending on which Scientist you believe). All Scientist agree that the oceans would rise.

With that said, I have wondered if some people look forward to anything apocalyptic.

I have to question if Liberals really care about the environment or if it is just politics... Then I have to wonder if conservatives even care, or if they just look forward to anything apocalyptic...

I ask this because inside of my natural self... I always look forward to the apocalytic, but the practical part of me wants to preserve what is in our control (i.e. regardless if we are inducing the current global warming trend, then we have a responsibility to stop it..)

So, apocalyptic and keep pretending we are not causing any issues? Or do what we can on our part to keep pollutants out of the air?

Which are you?

Reply to
Mr4701

Snip

3/5s of our planet is covered by water. Do you have any idea how much water it would take to raise the ocean level world-wide by 19 feet?

Given the fact that almost 1/2 of the world's ice is floating and it's melting would have no effect on water level, the amount of ice melt needed to raise the ocean levels 1 foot would be tens of miles thick.

You might also remember that the Norse named the island Greenland because of the lush, green forests and meadows that were growing there when they discovered it. A case could be made that it is reverting to it's historical climatic conditions.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

You might want to read the report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. They looked at this in depth. It's available online.

I don't recall how much the sea level would rise. I think it is about 1 m, not 6 m (19 ft).

To do that, you need to remove all the CO2 man has put into the atmosphere.

The increased CO2 concentration in the air do affect plant life as well as sea life when the CO2 dissolves into the ocean and lowers the pH.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

There's a middle ground section to the subject: A segment of people who get a thrill from claiming that **ALL** environmental causes are a wrong. Gradually, these people will die (hopefully sooner than later). Or, as polar bears move south to adjust to a new diet, perhaps they'll run across people who didn't care about the ice caps, and SNACK TIME!

Honestly, I'm 50/50 about how much of the warming is our fault. But, I'd still like to see cleaner vehicles for selfish reasons: The stink.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yes, see below

No, a mile thick over a large enough area would do it. Again, see below.

I doubt if the Norse explored the frozen interior of Greenland. I do agree with your basis premise - climates change all the time without the interference of Humans. But to be honest, just because parts of Greenland were warmer in the second millennia, you can't make any claims about the globe as a whole. It may very well have been at the same time that Antarctica was cooler and stored more ice than today. We just don't have enough information to know. But for sure we know that the world was much colder in the not so distant past and that it warmed significantly without the interference of mankind. One more thing about the Norse - If you were trying to sell property to suckers back home, would you have named your newly discovered land, Coldashellland?

Depending on who you believe, the Greenland ice cap can be several miles thick in places. I think it would be reasonable to assume there are at least 502,400 cubic MILES of ice sitting on Greenland. The surface area of the oceans on the earth is 140,000,000 square miles. If you spread 504,400 cubic miles of water over this area, the sea level would rise by around .004 miles which is about 19 feet. So, I'd say the claim is reasonable IF you believe global warming will melt the entire Greenland Ice Cap (very very unlikely). Of course there is much more ice stored on the continent of Antarctica. Since my farm is only about 14 feet above sea level at the highest point, I'd be in real trouble if all the ice on Greenland melted. Personally I am not concerned.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

or

The rise in water might not be that great since in the process, low-lying land will be covered, essentially increasing the area of the oceans. But I'm sure I saw a map of what all will be covered, and the middle of the USA around the Mississippi became quite a large shallow sea - - not a pleasant prospect as it would decimate a lot of farm land. Maybe if it happens slowly enough, dikes will be built to keep the sea from covering the land.

As to the question do I care - - certainly, but not for myself as I live at

235 ft altitude in the Santa Clara Valley, CA.
Reply to
Chuck Olson

There is enough frozen water above seal level to make the oceans rise at least 19 feet. That's documented fact.

False! It was named Greenland to be more attractive to bring immigrants to the land. Greenland is about 81% ice-capped

Reply to
Mr4701

In some areas the ice caps reach 2 miles thick... plus the island is 81% covered in ice on average.

or

Mr4701

What would cause the most severe trauma would be the imporant costal cities... i.e. New York, Miami, Houston, Los Angeles, Oakland/SF, etc...

Reply to
Mr4701

I am 50/50 as well... with that said, I agree... might as well take care of our part if it is our doing.

Reply to
Mr4701

It couldn't hurt to have cleaner air, ya know? I mean, it's not a big thing in the news, so it's not fashionable to discuss, but even so....

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Good. Let's begin by removing ***ALL*** Chrysler mini-vans from the road overnight, if they're more than 3 years old. Every one of them's a stinker, which should come as no surprise since the engines were built with tolerances measured in feet.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I stand corrected...WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIIIEEEEE!!!!!

Reply to
Retired VIP

There is an island, somewhere, that is 12 ft above sea level.

The sea in encroaching on the island. The islanders are panicking.

They can't grow crops. The soil has been ruined by the salt water.

The Governor of the island says, "The rich nations that caused all this should set up a fund. billions of dollars to help us!" When asked how long he had, he answered, "Fifty years".

Kinda sounds like extorsion to me. You gotta be kidding.

Look at the Hawaiian islands. The ones to the nortwest are smaller. Because they are sinking. Islands can sink.

Of course, the story about the island and the remarks of the Governor were heard on the BBC...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Explain this to me please.

Reply to
badgolferman

Explanation is at the bottom.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Ocean levels are rising. I have heard the "islands sink" stuff before, but if you think all Islands are sinking then youre just using that as a smokescreen...

Reply to
Mr4701

its true that islands can sink, but its something global warming deniers say just because its something that can happen...

the bikini islands where we tested nuclear weapons have not been sinkning but the oceans are starting to engulf them..

the ocean levels are rising...just a fact.. and to blame it on sinking islands is ridiculous...

im not saying you have to buy man made global warming.. but its still a silly thing to say

Reply to
Mr4701

Yes, we are.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Some monster would come back from the dead, after being frozen for millions of years in the ice caps, would kill us.

Reply to
EdV