Does Toyota have a quality control crisis on their hands? Not OT!

Article in the Wall Street Journal points to a big surge in quality problems at Toyota. According to the WSJ, Toyota had more recalls than new vehicle sales in the US last year: 2.26 million new vehicles sold, but 2.38 million vehicles recalled! This flies in the face of the reputation for high quality that Toyota has enjoyed. In Japan, prosecutors are investigating possible "professional negligence" for shirking recalls for eight years! Toyota's president is quoted making an apology saying "I take this seriously and see it as a crisis". A huge recall on the current Sienna is thought possible, because of allegedly poorly designed locking devices for the rear seats.

Has Toyota quality been over-rated? Maybe that next car should be a Ford or Chevy product. XY

Reply to
X Y

Go for it. You'll be wishing you had a Toyota in no time at all. :-)

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

You sound like you've got it all figured out. Your mechanic and the auto parts store suggest that you do make your next car a Ford or Chevy product!

Reply to
Truckdude

well, maybe not in 'no time at all' but surely when the warranty runs out and you have to pay for Ford's and GM's mistakes.

Reply to
mack

I'd go with a Dodge Caliber or PTCruiser. The Caliber is getting rave reviews by buyers. The PTCruiser already has an excellent reputation for quality according to Consumer Reports, even though it is made in Mexico and has a cheap sticker price. A friend has a Ford Focus and loves it. If you need a big car, go for a Dodge Charger if you want something cool looking. It has a good sticker price too. If you need big and high mileage, you could take a chance with the Ford Five humdred but it is not super reliable. Some Buicks have a decent repair record.

We went with Honda this time around having owned American and Toyota's recently.

Reply to
Art

I can't speak for the Caliber, but if it is the update of the Neon (an execrable vehicle) I'd be wary of it.

The PTCruiser already has an excellent reputation for

We rented an '06 PT in the midwest this spring, and the one thing I kept thinking for a week was "Thank God it's a rental and I don't have to drive it again after Thursday!" It was tiresome on a 200 mile trip, fairly noisy, fairly uncomfortable, and gave mediocre gas mileage. (My Avalon gets 5 mpg more on the highway than the little four banger.)

A friend has a Ford Focus and loves it. If you

You may think it looks cool. It reminds me of an armored car. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am just turned off Chrysler products and have been for some years.

.

Buick is the only GM product I'd even consider. For some reason, they seem better built than Pontiacs and Chevrolets.

Happy motoring in the Honda!

Reply to
mack

I have an '05 Avalon Limited, and the mileage is super for a big car: typically 30+ mpg on the highway. I like the new Buick Lucerne, and Buick has an amazing pearly white metallic with gold highlights; one of those colors that seems to actually change with the viewing angle. This paint is absolutely striking, and more impressive than the Avalon's conservative pearly white. The white seems to be the Avalon's "trademark color", and it is an extra cost option. I chose the Avalon, in part, because several critics called it a Lexus in everything but name, and at a more modest price. It has been a good car. No complaints. XY

Reply to
X Y

As well as Toyotas mistakes, the difference is Toyota parts cost a lot more. If you think the brand you chose will be that much better than another, you are in for a rude awakening ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The '06 and '07 Camrys I've seen show a VIN starting with a "4" or "J"--not a "5." You're not purposefully saying "5" to jab at the Camry, are ya? The best-selling car in the U.S.A.

Reply to
Built_Well

The Camrys assemble in the US have a '4,' between 40% and 70% US content. The Tundra has a '5' less than 40% US content

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to