does toyota make a car that's sold as a chevy?

A toyota salesman in the seattle area (burien) told me recently that toyota makes a corolla-type car that's branded chevy. anyone know what the truth is on this question?

thx Tom

Reply to
I Love Edsels

Pontiac Vibe. Toyota Matrix. Think Corolla Wagon.

There used to be others, but I believe that is the only current one based on a Toyota.

Reply to
ray

Don't know if it's still made - but the Prism was the Corolla's American twin.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Just Googled it - the Chevy Prism is no longer produced.

and...
Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Oops - Prizm - w/a "z".

Reply to
Cathy F.

The Chevy Nova was based on the Corolla, not the Tercel.

The Chevy Nova was later re-badged as the Geo Prizm.

Reply to
Ray O

The Geo/Chevy Prizm was a Corolla down to the last nut and bolt (except for decorations). Funny how Condemner Retards and similar publications used to rave about how GREAT the Corolla was, but the Prizm (made on the SAME assembly line) was just "typical American junk." Fact was, they were both crappy little sh*tboxes.

Right now, I think the Pontiac Vibe is the same vehicle as the Matrix. Probably a lot better than the Corolla/Prizm, but I'd go for a Caliber if I were in the market for a mini wagon.

Reply to
Steve

I beg to differ re: your last sentence. I've owned Corollas since '84 - reliable cars, & with LE version, plenty of perks.

The Matrix is the Corolla, with a different body.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I have a '98 that's the same color as the one in the picture.

The wikipedia article says that the Cavalier was a larger car, but I think it was only the outside that was bigger. The Cavalier and the Metro were also pretty lousy cars, so they really didn't compete with the Prizm anyway.

I would bet that, no matter what GM said, that they cancelled the Prizm solely because they wanted to build Vibes. Those are SUV-ish, and GM figures they can ride along on the wave of SUV popularity.

The US carmakers seem to be stuck in imitation mode. Most of what they offer is selling into a market defined by someone else, or it's the same thing they've been selling for the last couple of decades. The Ford Mustang is a retread, and it seems to be the most exciting thing that the US makers are doing.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

Consumer Reports said that the Prizm was a good car, just as good as the Corolla. Have you got some kind of neurosis about Consumers Reports?

You're also wrong about the Prizm being the same as the Corolla "down to the last nut and bolt." GM used some Delco parts on the Novas and Prizms.

The Corolla is an excellent small car. If more people drove them instead of big gas hogs, we'd be buying less oil from countries that fund terrorists.

Have you ever actually looked at the ratings for the Corolla or Civic? They're both top notch. But I doubt you ever actually read Consumer Reports.

I thought the Caliber was just a warmed-over Neon? I don't think I would buy any Chrysler vehicle, and I certainly wouldn't choose one over a Toyota.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

I would buy any Japanese car (even a Mitsubishi!) over a Chrysler product. A Chrysler dealer is the last place I'd go car shopping.....right after my second lowest priority ---A Saturn dealer.

Reply to
mack

Not to mention low emissions.

Cathy

we'd be buying less oil from countries that

Reply to
Cathy F.

The vehicles made in the GM/Toyota plant in California are all Toyota models. The only one currently sold by GM is the Pontiac Vibe version of the Toyota Matrix. By the way the Vibe can be driven home for thousands less than the Matrix when similarly equipped.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

my '94 LHS has 162,000 and has cost me $0 in repairs. It handles ALMOST as well as my '85 Celica.

I was going to trade it for a Scion, but decided to keep it and just shell out the $600 they were going to give me for it. It's worth more than that to me. I'll run it in the winter and leave the Scion covered... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I hope he isn't referring to the Cobalt.

Out here there is a dealer who is giving the impression on his radio ads that the Cobalt is co-produced with Toyota, but it is not, and there is a small, very FAST disclaimer at the end of the ad that says the Cobalt and Corolla are mentioned for comparison purposes only.

I hope the Cobalt moves better with the same engine than it's HHR twin does...UGH!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Verifying that this is correct. I had one of those Nova's (Corolla), a 1985 one and it ran forever. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Is it true that "Nova" actually means "No Go" in a few dialects of spanish?

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

M.M.

It did? Why would you get rid of a car like that? One can not buy a car today that will last forever ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter