Don't put those 4runners away wet!

Another dealer story Just got my 4runner back from the dealer. I request my work be done by the most senior guy, master mechanic, who is also the foreman. Figure if paying $89/hour then get the best.

It was time to replace all fluids & repack wheel bearings. They phoned & said inside of brake rotors badly rusted & needed replacing. And needed front brake service because of excessive grime & dust buildup. I had front pads replaced 18 months / 15k miles ago. So my position is I've had ALL maintenance done by the dealer, at the recommended intervals. I follow schedule A because of the Canadian winters. I understand replacing parts that wear out but I'm upset when parts fail in this manner.

I asked the foreman why they'd get like this in 18 months? He asked if I took my truck for a drive, after washing, to dry the brake system! About 8 hand washes & lots of touchless (but you drive after those). Now after thinking about this what about rainy days or our months of slushy driving in the snow? It's going to bed dripping wet for months at a time. Makes no sense.

Appreciate your feedback.

Reply to
DonLogan

Depends on the rust depth. The washing after getting muck on it is interesting. I try and keep the BMW washed and clean and washed, but doing that is taking its toll on the electrical connections that are rusting out and will no doubt, cause worse problems down the way.

It's almost like they planned it this way. Don't wash and there are "these" problems. You wash it and then there are these "other" problems.

Fwiw, I've seen some pretty badly rusted rotors still out there on the road. The only issue I have is where the rotor is warped and the thing shakes like crazy when I stop. Then I do a rotor switch. You may have been had, but who knows. Cannot hurt having new ones - other than to your pocketbook. Maybe the "oldest" mechanic knows best - or was seeking a fast buck, Grasshopper.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Some dealerships used advanced production methods like TEAMS to dispatch and perform work, and others use more traditional dispatch and production methods. BTW, most Toyota dealers employ technicians, not mechanics. Mechanics are familiar with the mechanical parts of the vehicle; technicians are familar with the entire vehicle, including the electronic systems that control a large portion of modern vehicles.

Routine maintenance is not technically demanding, an apprentice should be able to do quality work on the vehicle, especially if it is just replacing fluids and repacking wheel bearings.

When the pads were replaced 18 months ago, were the rotors resurfaced or replaced? Were OEM or aftermarket parts used? It is normal for some surface rust to build up on rotors after car washes and after rain or snow, and driving the vehicle and applying the brakes removes the surface rust. If you leave the vehicle parked for a long time, then the rust will accumulate.

Reply to
Ray O

Do dealers use aftermarket? They replaced pads but no service on the rotors. I'm picking up the old rotors so i can examine them.

Reply to
DonLogan

Generally not, unless the customer specifies aftermarket parts or the vehicle being serviced is not the brand the dealership has the franchise for. If it was serviced at a Toyota dealership and there is no specific notation of aftermarket parts or brands, you can assume that the parts are OEM.

Let us know what you find.

Reply to
Ray O

being serviced is not the brand the dealership has

specific notation of aftermarket parts or brands,

Do they salt the roads were you drive?

But even if you parked in the ocean and had barnacles growing on toasted rotors using the brakes would have to take it right off the surface before they could do there job.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

My buddy with a leased 2000 Toyota Avalon that was previously a demo had a related issue. He had aluminum wheels and you could see thru the spokes that the paint on the hubs peeled off and metal rusted and looked like garbage. He was turning it in soon at the end of the lease so he ignored it.

Reply to
Art