door detent spring thingy???

Threaded View

The thingy that holds the door open at different widths (sliding spring
bar  thingy) on my Camry has stopped working, so now the door just
flings all the way to maximum open.

Is there a broken spring or something there I could possibly replace, or
do I have to buy the whole assembly and replace it? I'm not familiar
with how the mechanism works and it's too cold out to take it apart and
figure it out myself before I ask someone for advice from the warmth of
their computer chair.

Any advice appreciated.

Re: door detent spring thingy???

You didn't say what year.

On some a rubber insert in the hole where the detent arm slides in and out
does the squeezing job.  Maybe yours ripped and fell out.  I don't know how
they get replaced. Probably an easy job though.

Re: door detent spring thingy???

It's a 2004

Re: door detent spring thingy???

The door check is made up of 2 wedge-shaped pieces of rubber that squeeze
the bar that slides in and out of the forward door frame, and the cold may
have made the rubber so hard that it no longer grips the bar or the rubber
may have broken off.  If you want to fix it yourself, purchase a replacement
door check at your local dealer, remove the inner door panel, and reach
through the opening to unbolt the door check (IIRC, held in place with 2 10
mm bolts).  Remove the roll pin from where the bar attaches and pivots on
the door jamb and push the sliding bar all the way through the opening at
the front of the door frame.  Remove the bar and old door check, thread the
bar through the new door check, and reverse the process.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Re: door detent spring thingy???

Super! Thanks very much for your reply. That's exactly what I'll do.

Re: door detent spring thingy???

You're welcome!

One more little trick: - after you install the new door check, give it a
liberal dose of lithium grease or even better, silicone grease (used for
plumbing fixtures), to delay the onset of the squeaking before you
re-install the inner door panel.   When people hear the door squeaking and
groaning, they think it is the hinges making the noise when it is often the
rubber on the door checks.  The bar acts like a violin bow, and as it rubs
against the rubber, the rubber vibrates and the door's cavity acts like the
inside of the violin, amplifying the sound.

Good luck!
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Re: door detent spring thingy???

On a Toyota, the door check holds the door open and keeps it from flinging
open.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)