door handle 2000 corolla

I have a 2000 corolla 4 door. The driver side door handle broke. When installing a new one, how do I retrieve the cable that hooks up to the plastic door handle?It's somewhere in the space between the door panel.

thanks Rob

Reply to
rob1955

I believe that the door handle is attached with a rod, not a cable. To retrieve the rod, remove the inner door panel and plastic sheet behind the panel and reach in to the opening. If you are purchasing a new door handle, I recommend getting a new plastic clip that connects the rod to the handle.

Reply to
Ray O

I have a 2000 Corolla as well and have taken the doors apart too many times to mention over the last month as I?ve been working on a new stereo system. The door handle attaches to a rod behind the door panel. It?s quite easy to get to. Just remove the door panel itself (one screw in the handle, pry up the armrest and remove two screws there), then the panel is just clipped on with several push-in style panel clips. Remove it by prying up from the bottom of the panel and using quick movements, detach all the clips. You?ll hear them pull out as you pull up on the panel. Then just push it up over the door lock button and out. You?ll see the rod right there behind the panel. You can attach the door handle to it by holding the panel close to the door and slide the handle in sideways. There?s enough play that you can get the rod attached and then insert the handle back into it?s slot in the door panel.

"rob1955" wrote: > I have a 2000 corolla 4 door. The driver side door handle > broke. When > installing a new one, how do I retrieve the cable that hooks > up to the > plastic door handle?It's somewhere in the space between the > door > panel. > > thanks > Rob

Reply to
MD99