Doors unexpectedly unlock

Just bought a 2002 echo 2-door and the power door locks are misbehaving.

They lock OK. For example, locking the driver's side locks the passenger door too.

However, after several minutes both doors automatically unlock themselves! In other words, the doors *will *not *stay *locked.

The key has no chip in it, and I am not using any kind of remote (none came with the car).

Has anybody seen this before? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Reply to
spam

The key must be out of the ignition in order to lock the doors with the interior power door lock switch. If the key is in the ignition, the doors will automatically unlock. If the doors automatically unlock with the key out of the switch, then check the switch in the ignition lock cylinder for sticking, or give it a shot of aerosol Lock-Ease or WD-40.

Reply to
Ray O

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the tip. Correction: The car does not have "power door locks" (my mistake). It has just the ordinary door locks, where putting the key in the driver's side lock, you can lock and unlock both doors simultaneously. (Obviously, some electricity is involved here, but they are not "power door locks" as described in the owner's manual.) So: The driver can leave the key in the ignition and lock both doors, and the manual warns you not to do this.

After locking both doors, they can unexpectedly unlock themselves in as little as 1 second, or one minute, or an hour or more. It's this variable time that puzzles me.

Thanks for any help on this, Jim

Reply to
spam

In order to be able to lock or unlock both doors simultaneously, there has to be power door lock actuators in the door. The delay in unlocking puzzles me too. I checked for a technical service bulletin on the problem but could not find any so unfortunately, someone with a factory repair manual and electrical wiring diagram will have to diagnose the problem.

Reply to
Ray O