Drive-by-wire throttle hesitation with 5 speed manual?

Does the infamous throttle hesitation problem created by Drive-By-Wire exist on 5th generation 2AZ-FE Camry with 5 speed manual transmission?

In other words, does DBW latency affect both auto and stick shifts?

Reply to
SQ

Hummmm. Dunno. As far as I know, my corolla uses the "throttle by wire" setup so to speak, and I don't notice any real latency at all.. I've noticed in the manual that they say if it ever conks out, I'll have trouble getting much throttle, and will likely notice vibration.. ?? They say the car will still be drivable at low speeds, I guess using a bit of physical push with the pedal. But anyway, the throttle on mine seems very fast. I've never noticed any lag. In fact, it seems as fast as a normal linkage as far as I can tell.. But maybe mine is different.. BTW, mine is a auto, not a manual. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.. I guess the best way to test is to actually drive one and see how it feels. MK

Reply to
nm5k

I would imagne so. I have a Scion tC with the same engine, and there is a slight hesitation.

I don't drive the car that much, and I have a Mazda 626 ('89) that has the traditional throttle cable, so I notice it in the Scion. However, the more I drive the car, the less it bothers me...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I have read several reasons on the internet on why a hesitation on the

2007 2AZ-FE Camry (6th generation), not sure about the 5th gen.

  1. Junk U-type Automatic Transmission.

  1. The software delays sudden power surge to protect the gears in the Automatics due to the fact that they use junk transmission stated in #1
  2. For improved MPG, the automatics will shift up when throttle is released and when you suddenly step on it again the transmission can't instantly shift 2 or 3 gears down.
  3. DBW electronics delay due to improper grounding of the wires to the painted body. According to some, scratching of the paint underneath all the grounding points solved the hesitation. Others would even install the grounding wire kits to improve electronics functionality. but this is applicable to other DBW cars (stick and automatic) and not only for the 07 camry.

Reply to
EdV

Interesting.. could you clarify this point? Where are these wires?

Reply to
SQ

you can read more on,

guy made a step by step DIY on how to make your own wire andexplains the benefits of grounding wire. I did not do any modification on my car. For discussion purposes only.

Reply to
EdV

On Sep 7, 10:32 pm, EdV wrote: ....

Thanks for posting, much other interesting info there.

It seems DBW is a good concept in theory, but it appears there are some bugs in it to be worked out, especially in the new 5-speed automatic transmissions.

It's also not clear if the throttle delay is a result of DBW technology or Toyota's new Variable-Valve Timing technology.

Reply to
SQ

It's the DBW. I've had VVTi on other cars with no problems.

On the Scion, there is an adjustment under the throttle, in the form of a screw. You can adjust the screw to take up some of the 'slack'. I did this and the hesitation diminished noticably.

Maybe I'll try the grounding trick next...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Folks, this procedure is a waste of time. If you notice, the only improvement he noted was a slight reduction in the ground resistance between the fender/body and the battery ground terminal (at least I presume that was his reference point). That improvement is meaningless as none of the important systems in the vehicle are grounded to the fenders.

There is one exception to the above statement. If your radio antenna is mounted on the fender and you are getting ignition noise on AM, then adding a good ground bond to the fender "might" reduce the noise.

I might also add that the improvement he shows will only be temporary. His method of constructing the ground straps will allow them to corrode in about a year. The heat shrink won't protect them from road salts and moisture. The straps should be made out of braided wire and the connectors should be crimped AND soldered. Heat shrink will make them look pretty but isn't necessary.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

it may, but on the lotus elise, there's really no latency. the power train on the elise is pure toyota. and it's TBW. that's a reason i bought mine. sam

Reply to
zammy

His grounding methods are good. Ideal material would be solid strap copper, but it's hard to work with. Soldering is not as good as a properly done crimp, wirewrap or crimping is performed for the most critical applications and is more reliable than solder for point to point wiring. The grounding of the fenders is proven to lower ignition noise in radios, as is grounding the tailpipe in the rear of the vehicle. Whether or not it makes any difference as to engine performance I'd be skeptical about that. I give him credit for doing the work and trouble of taking pictures and sharing with others.

Reply to
dbu`

Dunno, mine has both, and like I say I notice little if any lag.. I don't really see how the VVT could have much to do with it. It might effect power at certain rpms, but shouldn't effect the actual throttle response. MK

Reply to
ruprect