Echo owner thinking of buying new car-need advice

Hello, I currently own a 2000 Echo. It is in excellent shape with just under

60000 miles on it. I am thinking of trading it in for something else soon, but I'm not sure what. I want to trade it in while it still has some trade-in value. Also, when I bought the Echo, I wasn't going to be doing a lot of driving at the time, but now I have to drive a lot more to get to work,etc. I was thinking of getting a RAV 4, but I don't like the newer, bigger design. So, I am thinking of either a Matrix, or a Scion XA. I especially want something with a "hatchback". I think the Yaris is a bit too small. Anyone have any opinions on this? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Darren

Reply to
darrenli516

Yaris is about the same size as an Echo. They were selling the Echo in the US and the Yaris in the rest of the world.

The xA is a pretty uselful car, and has about the same engine as your Echo. It is based on the Echo platform, so it should be a familiar feel handling and power wise.

For a little more OOOOMPH!, look at a tC, but your mileage will certainly vary.

BTW, I like my Japanese cars from JAPAN, Thank You, so the Matrix, Corolla, Camry, Sienna, Tacoma are OUT! xA, xB, tC, Yaris, Highlander, RAV4 are from Japan.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah, I'm pissed they didn't sell it here. As much as I love my Echo, I wish it were a hatch.

NOPE - my husband's xA has a much stiffer feel and really bad blind spots. Quite different, despite being center-dashed, etc.

Yes, the xA has better pickup - but the handling sucks, IMO. Box-on-wheels feel; you know, like the xBox. :-p

Bigot

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Some semi-random thoughts:

  1. If you're dumping your Echo and you think the Yaris is too small, the default response would be "Corolla." Any reason not to go Corolla?
  2. Friends have a Vibe and routinely turn 36mpg on the highway (manual transmission). It's the same basic car as the Matrix, so I expect you'd do about as well. And, it seems to hold a ton of stuff. The Vibe/Matrix strikes me as a really useful vehicle.

Anyway, if you want some ideas, why don't you tell us why you don't want to drive the Echo any more? That will clue us in to your thinking. How important is the cost?

Reply to
DH

Well, in SOME things. I'm still waiting for them thar Bikini shots! :P

Where the HELL you been, girl?!?!?!?!

Reply to
.//Hachiroku

I beg to differ on the size between the Yaris and Echo; the Yaris is bigger. I was also hunting/comparing like the OP and ended up buying a Yaris HB. It's about 8 inches shorter than the Scion Xa because of it being only 2 doors but side by side with an Echo it's much "bigger". And it is also Echo based but price-wise less than the Xa. At that point I think it's more about preference; he should just test drive them.

Reply to
seerialmom

Corollas made in the U.S. and Canada are equally reliable as Japanese-made Toyotas.

BTW, I thought the Highlander was made in the U.S.?

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

The way you torment her? Don't hold your breath.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

You'll be waiting forever...

Working my arse off. Uncle Sam took a big chunk out of us this year - hubby's promotion bumped us to a higher bracket.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Guess he's keeping hope alive...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Nuh-uh...

Nuh-uh...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I got time! ;P

Well, good to SEE you again! I was wondering what happened!

Wait, if Hubby's a Navy Lifer, doesn't he get a break? He should! I think so anyway.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Me? Torment her?

She KNOWS I'm just kidding.

Maybe...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Just curious, what proof do you have that suggests otherwise?

I have a Japanese-made Honda Accord, and it has had a few minor issues that are common on both Japanese- and U.S.-made versions of this model.

I stand corrected here. I looked on MSN Autos, and it says that it is indeed made in Japan. But I am almost certain that it was made in the U.S. at one time.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Uh-huh. (yes, equally reliable)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Have you thanked the President and the Republicans in Congress for not have even MORE taken from you by the IRS? If not for his tax cuts, that remove the marriage penalty and increase the child tax credit and reduced everybodys tax RATE, you would have paid even more. If the Dims have their way, those tax cuts will expire in 2010 ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Sorry, Cath, but I worked at a Toyota dealer last year...

The 'American' cars were coming in with problems you NEVER saw on the same model made in Japan, esp when it came to electronics.

If it says Delco, change it NOW to something that says Denso. And make sure THAT says "Made In Japan".

The ONLY good thing that came about was that usually this crap would blow up before the car was out of warranty. Pity on the people it happens to afterwards, because it's all the expensive stuff...

A power seat motor for $472!!!!! And that was the DEALER cost!!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Worked at a dealer last year...saw it first hand.

See my reply to Cathy.

It's interesting, because it is a Camry based vehicle, and yet they are all imported.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks!

That's AIR FORCE - and not enough of a break....

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

LOL yeah