Electric sideview mirror

My 1988 Supra's driver side mirror is electric and seems to be in good condition. But it has always had a bunch more free play than the passenger side mirror.

When I touch it with my finger there is not enough free play for my view to be changed but driving over the highway dots vibrates my view real bad on the driver side only.

Is there any way to get the mirror out so I can fix that or something? The housing is a painted part so I don't want to replace the darn thing.

Thanks Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

I think that the mirror is epoxied in place so I suspect that you will have to break the glass to look behind. ;-(

Reply to
Ray O

be changed but

break the glass to look behind. ;-(

I've noticed they sell replacement glass before but my odds on that sound about as good playing the lottery. ;-)

Reply to
Danny G.

Sounds like it is time to get a hunk of solid rubber to wedge between the glass and the housing.

Reply to
Ray O

changed but

So far, so good...

Mine aren't doing this.

If it is made anything like my Celica, there is a spring that keeps the mirror from shaking. The spring is anchored in plastic.

What I did was I moved the mirror out enough, and it SHOULD unsnap from the mounting. Be careful! Or you'll be buying the replacement glass!

The point where the spring was anchored was broken, it is a hollow plastic nipple protruding from the base. I found a screw that was small enough to fill the hollow portion without breaking it, and had a big enough head to acnhor the spring. It worked fairly decently. It wasn't as good as new, but it stopped a LOT of the shaking. I could look in the mirror without getting Seasick!

Reply to
Hachiroku