Engine hesitation sometime happens when stops at traffic

Hi,

My 2001 Corolla CE sometime hesitates when stops at the traffic. It doesn't happen frenquently, but it happenes. I can feel that engine is dying but somehow it survives. How could be cause and what should I look for? thanks.

Reply to
wenmang

Hi,

My 2001 Corolla CE sometime hesitates when stops at the traffic. It doesn't happen frenquently, but it happenes. I can feel that engine is dying but somehow it survives. How could be cause and what should I look for? thanks.

Reply to
wenmang

Has the check engine light ever come on? If so, then the best place to start is by using and OBD II code scanner, which you can purchase or borrow at auto parts stores.

If not, then it is a lot harder to diagnose. Even with modern advances, engines need 3 basic things to run - air, fuel, and ignition at the appropriate time. The likely causes are ignition and fuel, and the OBD II system would probably set a check engine light if the engine is misfiring so I'd check fuel pressure and fuel volume.

Reply to
Ray O

How old are the plugs and the plug wires? Air cleaner? When was throttle body cleaned - or the fuel injectors (use Chevron Techron in gas). These are normal maintence things that can be checked to satart with.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Wild Guess Dept: does this car have an old-style carburettor with a float valve? In the 1970s I had an original-design Mini which did what you describe. The fault was a hole in the diaphragm of the float valve. Easily fixed, then everything worked.

OTOH, it could indeed be grubby spark plugs, which has also given me grief in the past -- MANY times. Modern cars are amazing, in how they seem able to run on forever without any attention to the plugs; but I assure it was not always so. ;-) One car needed to have its plugs checked every few hundred miles. *gah*

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

2001 Corolla has iridium spark plugs and they are supposed to last at least 90K which happened to my 2000 Corolla. Maybe I need to check them out? is Chevron Techron the one to use to clean fuel injector? other brands are no good?

thx

Reply to
wenmang

sorry, my 2001 Corolla has 70K on it and has fuel injector instead of carburettor.

Reply to
wenmang

The only fuel injector cleaners I recommend are Chevron Techron and the stuff that Toyota dealers sell. Other stuff may or may not be good, I do not have much experience with it.

Reply to
Ray O