engine malfunction dashboard lamp on

The engine malfunction light came on in my 2003 Celica. Main dealer says a new VVTi controller is needed at a cost of appx £600. No other symptoms or problems. Anyone else had this?

Reply to
Matty

I recall seeing 1 other post regarding a bad VVTi controller. The good news is that your engine should run fine without damage or problems without the VVTi functioning, with a slight decline in performance that may or may not be noticeable.

The bad news is that most peridoc emissions inspections require that the check engine light is not illuminated and that no trouble codes are stored in the computer's memory, so you may have to get it fixed.

Reply to
Ray O

The MOT is due in March 07, maybe i?ll risk leaving it until then and see if is passes the emissions test. Does £600 sound reaonable for this part?

Reply to
Matty

I have not priced a VVTi contoller, but £600 works out to close to $1,200 U.S., something I would not want to pay.

Reply to
Ray O