Engine not warming up

My car's engine isn't warming up sufficiently according to the temperature gauge. I suspected a stuck-open thermostat to begin with, but now I see that the fan starts running as soon as I start the car, albeit at a slow speed.

Is it normal for the (hydraulic) fan to start turning even when the engine is cold? The car is a 1995 Lexus ES300 with the 1MZ-FE engine.

Thanks, Tripurari

Reply to
singh.tripurari

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9B7CA864D90BBtegger@

208.90.168.18:

And are you sure you've got a viscous clutch fan? Didn't think they used those anymore.

Reply to
Tegger

"Ray O" wrote in news:gip3ka$q1e$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

That's bizarre. Considering the weight and cost of a hydraulic system versus a simple electric motor, I'm a bit surprised Toyota would bother.

Reply to
Tegger

The fan starts up as soon as I start the car at roughly 30 degrees outside air temperature. The car then proceeds to warm up to the quarter-way mark on the gauge. If I'm stuck in traffic with the engine running but reduced airflow through the radiator, it does warm up further and on a few occasions has reached the normal mid-point mark.

Thanks, Tripurari

Reply to
singh.tripurari

.

Have you tried putting cardboard in front of the radiator? You may also have a bad thermostat.

Reply to
Jeff

It was probably one of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" deals but I agree, a simple electric motor would be much simpler than a hydraulic system.

Reply to
Ray O