Engine oil spill on alternator causing rapid battery drain?

Hi guys,

I accidentally spilled a substantial qty of engine oil on and around the alternator of my '92 Corolla - and now the battery has started draining rapidly (0.30 amps with the engine shut off). The mobile auto electrician has just checked the battery, and says it has a dead cell. I'm not sure if the problem is with the alternator/regulator (because of the oil spill), or the battery, which was doing just fine before the oil spill. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Vik

Reply to
Vik

Disconnect the alternator, if the drain stops then you have found the problem. A failed cell on the battery can take the alternator in a short time, so the oil on it may be co-incidence.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Engine oil attacks parts inside the alternator and once soaked there is no way to stop it. I suggest replace both and clean ALL the connections on battery terminals while in that area.

Reply to
Tercel GTS

I'd say that you got two problems, the dead cell and something is causing a draw while sitting static....I wonder if you got some oil inside the alt which has 'coked' somewhere causing the 300mA draw? (mind you, I've never heard of it happening)

You're gonna need to change the battery anyway but that's not what's causing the draw, you'll need to start yanking fuses till you get the problem isolated.

Incidentally, how did he arrive at the 'dead cell' diagnosis?

Reply to
Gord Beaman