engine oil, warming up the car

Two questions 1) which oil to use for a 2003 corolla with 23K miles, automatic.

2) Should I warm the engine up before driving, esp in cold weather? Another car manual (VW Golf) instructed me to just start the car and drive away even in the cold because (a) the car warms up faster this way and (b) it's bad for the engine to leave the car idle warming up.
Reply to
slatt333

Three minutes is the general rule of thumb

Reply to
hachiroku

I have owned a 2003 model and I now drive a 2005, both automatics. I live in the cold climates and have noticed that I get better mileage using 5-30 in comparison to 10-30. 5-30 is the recommended weight oil. I usually let the car warm up for about one or two minutes and then drive off. Most oils now days will provide more than sufficient lubrication when cold. I don't think that it's bad to let a car idle for a reasonable amount of time but it may be a waste of fuel and your time when you could be on your way.

slatt333 wrote:

Reply to
nowhere

Why would a 5 to 10-minute warm up be bad for the engine? I was under the impression it was good for the engine because waiting 5 or

10 minutes in especially cold weather gives the oil pump a lot of time to thouroughly disperse the oil all throughout the engine before you start revving the motor with the accelerator.

In cold weather I've always waited between 5 and 10 minutes. If this is not a good length of time for the engine, I hope someone can expound. Thanks.

Reply to
Built_Well

1) Use SAE 5W-30 oil with an API rating of SL. 2) No. For all vehicles, the engine will warm up faster by driving it than by idling and although it is not bad for the engine to let it sit and idle, it does waste fuel unnecessarily.
Reply to
Ray O

Waiting 5 to 10 minutes for the engine to warm up in cold weather is not bad for the engine but it is not necessary and wastes fuel and your time. 30 seconds is more than enough time for the oil to circulate so you can start the engine and by the time you fasten your seat belt, it is ready to go. Personally, I hate wasting gas so I fasten my seat belt first, then start the engine and drive off.

It does not take 5 minutes for the oil pump to circulate oil throughout the engine. Oil starts circulating as soon as the starter engages the flywheel/flex plate. The oil pump is mechanically driven so the higher the engine speed, the higher the oil pressure. At idle, the oil pump is supplying the least amount of pressure but if you start driving, the pump will provide higher pressure right away.

Reply to
Ray O

do it like the VW people say. naturally, don't pound it but just drive sensibly. sammmm

Reply to
SAMMM

Thanks Ray O! I'll never wait 10 long minutes even on sub-zero winter days again!

Reply to
Built_Well

I wonder what made you do such a pointless thing in the first place?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

You're welcome.

Reply to
Ray O

This is what we used to do when living in cold climates. It would warm up the inside of the car and clear the windows for safety's sake. Try living in sub-zero temperatures and see if you still care about wasting gas over warmth.

Reply to
badgolferman

Believe it or not I have lived through several winters where temperature has been down to -18C for periods. About 30 seconds then careful driving for a few minutes has not failed me or any engine so far.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I think you are supposed to use 5w30 in colder climates. 10W30 is only good when in warmer climates.

Reply to
RT

Manual is right. The car warms up way faster by normal driving. Just mke sure the correct oil is used. Also take it easy ont he car the first 10 miles.

Reply to
RT

Has nothgin to do with the oil pressure building up. You should have oil pressure within a few seconds of starting. It's the cold oil that is thicker and does not lubricate as well as hot oil. Using the correct oil will help, but starting to drive right away and taking it easy on the engine is the best ay to warm it up. IT will take WAY longer to let it idle and warm up.

Reply to
RT

Not to mention that you're warming up the whole _car_, not just the engine.

Transmissions, differentials, steering gear, wheel bearings, even shocks, may also have parts that need to come up to operating temperature.

Warming up the engine to full operating temperature and then tearing off flat-out doesn't do the other components any favors.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Whose thumb is that??

Drive off gently as soon as the engine is running is the best way of warming up the engine of any vehicle. There is NO reason to let it sit idling when it's first started . . . and at least one good one not to . . . or do you like wasting gasoline?

Reply to
Don Fearn

Click and Clack, among others.

You don't take the time to let the pistons get friendly with the cylinder walls before you start revving it?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yup. That takes a few seconds at most. Then I rev it GENTLY until it's up to operating temperature. When I've reached the highway (about a mile from the house) it's ready to GO.

Three minutes is way longer than is needed. Three seconds is more like it. Don't ROMP on it until it's up to full operating temperature, but that will happen a lot sooner if you drive it gently instead of letting it idle.

Reply to
Don Fearn

What? Perhaps it's the rule of thumb if the weather is below 0F. Above freezing, you only need to give it 15 to 30 seconds, and above

50F 15 seconds of 'warm-up' is plenty - then drive gently till the coolant temperature gauge starts approaching normal. Side streets.

Jumping on the freeway or expressway is not advised till the engine temperature is about halfway to normal - if you live 500 feet from the on-ramp, or your house fronts on a county highway with a 55 MPH speed limit and you need to accelerate briskly to merge in, that would be an exception to the rule - give it another minute or two to warm up before you leave.

Cars in moderate to warm climates do not need extended warm-ups any more - just give them long enough to circulate the oil everywhere it needs to be. Ay more is just wasting gasoline.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman