Engine problem Land Cruiser KDJ95

I'm very unhappy with the car because the engine (Diesel, 1KD-FTV) often looses power during 30-60 seconds.

After this, cruise control does not function until I start the engine again.

It never happens when cruise control manages speed. Only with pedal.

It happens more often with cold engine.

My Toyota garage replaced the stop light switch but it didn't help. They don't seem to have an idea, where the problem is.

Hope you can help. Best regards from the Emmental.

Reply to
hellwach

A bit more information would be helpful. What year and how many miles are on the vehicle? What do you mean the engine looses power during

30-60 seconds? Does it stop completely? If there are vacuum lines to the cruise control unit from the vacuum pump you might want to check those.
Reply to
user

Hint, Ph@Boy - on a Diesel, they probably don't have manifold vacuum to run cruise control (or anything else) unless it has an engine driven vacuum pump, since Diesels don't have throttle plates and don't generate manifold vacuum on their own. The intake runs wide open, and the "throttle" is controlled by the fuel injection volume and timing.

They often use electric or hydraulic actuators (power steering pump) for cruise control and other things where you'd expect it to be vacuum operated on a gasoline engine car.

Let someone on the European side of the pond who deals with automotive sized Diesels more often (and the power accessories they have) answer this one - I would be flat-out guessing, and I'm betting you would too.

We could probably bumble our way through figuring out what's wrong if we had the car right in front of us, but we don't. And figuring it out over the net "20 Questions" style could take weeks.

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry Callahan

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Zitierten Text ausblenden -

Thanks for your answers. It's about 6 years old with 80'000 miles. No, it does not stop completely. Just loosing 1/2 or 2/3 of its power. No problems with cranking at all.

Reply to
hellwach

If you read my post Bruce I did mention to the OP to check the lines from the vacuum pump. Most designs run a main line from the vacuum pump to a manifold which is then tapped off for accessories such as power brakes, cruise, ect.

Reply to
user

Zitierten Text ausblenden -

If that engine has a fuel shut off solenoid (which it probably does) check the wire from the ignition to the relay and from the relay to the solenoid for shorting especially around the throttle linkage from the pedal. What you may be describing is a fuel supply problem and the solenoid may be shorting out for a brief time when the vehicle is in motion partially starving the pump for fuel. The solenoid is wired to remain open when electrical power is applied and when shorted, may disengage the cruise control. Check all vacuum lines and fittings for cracks causing leaks. Check the cold start valve (fuel enrichment device) for function. Make sure you have a new air filter. Diesel engines use much more air by far than a gasoline powered engine.

Reply to
user

Zitierten Text ausblenden -

Text ausblenden -