Engine rattle on 98 Toyota Corolla LE

I just bought a 98 Toyota Corolla LE yesterday from a friend. It has

85K Miles, pretty good body condition, and it only cost me $4k. I'm thinking I got a great deal. I took it to a mechanic I trust first and he said nothing was wrong with it (although the check engine light is on - which might be the catalytic converter?)

What I'm curious about that is there is somewhat of an inconsistent engine rattle. Sometimes when i start the vehicle, the rattling starts and gets a little louder, then stops (other times it doesn't stop). Its inconsistent because sometimes when I'm idling I can't hear it at all - and other times its loud. When I'm accelerating the rattling disappears for the most part.

Any ideas?

Reply to
barthjoe

Exhaust manifold heat shield?

Reply to
Mike Harris

Sorry, I'm somewhat ignorant on these things. Where would I find the exhaust manifold / how can I get to it to check?

Mike Harris wrote:

Reply to
Jordan

I believe that the sounds you are hearing is normal valvetrain sounds that people often describe as a rattle.

Reply to
Ray O

THE RATTLE You give us little clue as to what the source is. It can be a heat shield on the exhaust system, this is common.

THE CHECK LIGHT Your new car is OBD II compliant, this means you can to go Autozone Parts Stores, or (I'm sure) there are others, and they will loan you the tool to gather and reset the codes -- Autozone will actually collect and reset the codes, depending on the state you live in. Using the reader, or watching the Autozone clerk use the reader, is free.

I suggest writing a list of the codes that are displayed, then resetting them, then doing nothing until the Check light comes on again, then addressing the code that is displayed at that time AND displayed on the list you made this time.

The check light can come from any number of sources, none of them being capable of creating a rattle. The point is, you probably have two unrelated problems, and they may not be expensive to repair.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If you gotta ask ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jordan, maybe you should simply continue to trust the "mechanic you trust" and believe him when he tells you there's nothing wrong with it.

Better yet, ask him what you asked us. With all due respect, if you know that little about what goes on under the hood of your car you probably aren't going to get a lot of benefit from an alt.autos newsgroup.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

I would bet that something outside the engine itself is rattling. The exhaust system is a good place to start looking.

As for the check engine light, you need to have the code read to find out what it really is. I wouldn't be surprised to find it's an EVAP code...

Another person mentioned valve train rattle. I have a '98 Prizm, which has the same engine, and my valve train doesn't rattle, so it wouldn't seem to be normal. Besides that, I'd think that valve train noises would get worse when you give the engine some throttle.

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

Reply to
Jordan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ It could also be an idler pulley in the region of the timing belt (assuming that there is one, like on my Camry) which goes silent after it heats up.

Reply to
mack

Reply to
Jordan

I'm pretty sure this version of Corolla uses a timing chain.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

98 up as I recall.

My 97 has a belt.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

98 has timing belt according to mack..yea..pfft...time to filter this guy out of ALL messages..ROFLMAO.
Reply to
stevelibert

Bye, Steve, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Reply to
mack