Engine Startup Question

This may sound like a silly question....but here goes. When my car was new and I turned the key to start the engine, the only thing that would light up on the dashboard was the icon showing the seatbelt was fastened (or not). As time went by, that changed and when I turned on the ignition to start I would get a quick flash of the battery, the seat belt and something else....all on the left side. Then when I started having problems with the check light I noticed that it was joining the others....I am not saying these things stay on but they just quickly flash on and off.

After my car was fixed, it started over with just the seatbelt icon flashing. Now it's back to all of the icons flashing. My husband's car is older and his various icons always flash on when he turns on the engine. Same thing in my old Taurus (which is why I noticed it when my car was new and it didn't happen).

Do you'll ge this quick flash of icons when you start your car? Is it a sign something else is about to go out.? Just wondered.

Reply to
Dorot29701

It is normal for these warning lights to flash briefly when cranking the engine. That is how you know the bulb is actually working and not burned out. If they stay on then you have a problem.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Joey

You were not as observant then as you have become now.

Turn the ignition to ON, not START, and all of the various lights should come on for a self-test period. If you have been in the habit of simply turning the key from OFF to Start, then you might have missed this.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland