Engine Studders On Acceleration

Ok I have a 1990 Toyota Corolla Wagon, not 4 wheel drive or anything, with the 1.6L Engine, works great, gets great Gas Mileage, and has about

237000Km's on it. For about half the year now when you go to accelerate Really hard and fast, it studders, not on a specific interval, but very spaced out, even if you aren't looking for much acceleration, it still studders, What could be causing this? The Plugs are good, and the Wires are were changed not too long ago. Please tell me somthing to check. Oh yeah, it burns Oil, valve seals, maybe that might be somthing?

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
72Capri

When you say that the plugs are good, did you pull them and check their condition? They should be light to medium grayish-brownish in color with no black or oily deposits on the electrodes.

If you used aftermarket plugs and wires, this can sometimes cause the condition you're describing. You'll have better luck with OEM plugs and wires.

Burning oil usually does not cause stutter or misfire unless it's really bad with clouds of bluish smoke out the tailpipe.

You didn't mention whether you have an automatic or manual transmission. If automatic, check the condition of the transmission fluid to make sure it is not burnt - you could be feeling transmission slippage.

Reply to
Ray O

How about the fuel filter?

Reply to
HachiRoku

Well if the plugs were fouled I wouldn't be getting great gas mileage, and It's a Manual Transmission. thanks though, oh and My father is driving the same car, just that his is an Automatic, and his works fine, same plugs and wires, but the plugs are fine, I've checked.

Reply to
72Capri

Thanks for the input, Dad and I changed the Distributor Cap, Rotor Button, Plugs, and wires, and that fixed it, you could see that the Posts in the Distributor cap was really worn down, and there was Arching happening on the Rotor Button. So replaced it, took er out for a good spin, and not a studder, even put it in 5th doing 50km/h going up a hill and accelerated and it didn't studder!.

So it's all good.

Reply to
72Capri