Engine Swaps

I am going to attempt to swap in a 2jz-gte into my 02 celica, i am aware that it is a rear wheel drive engine going into a front wheel drive car. I would like any help that is there to be had. any advice, websites, books, and people that i should talk to would be great. the first big hurdles are in my mind if the engine will even fit and how to make the car rear wheel drive without completely tearing the car apart, rebuilding it and setting the celica shell on top of it. thanks to anyone who replys to this.

Robert

Reply to
darkhavok21

You want to do WHAT? This is might be feasible for a track only car, but ridiculous for a road car. It would be unsafe, uninsurable and illegal in any jurisdiction I know of. The primary issue is fitting the engine NS in an EW engine bay. The fire wall would need to be cut out and extended for the back of the engine and the gearbox, and a transmission tunnel fabricated to the rear.

You can't just cut pieces out here and there and weld new bits in, because this results in major loss of structural integrity.

The second issue is how the rear suspension points would be redesigned and body shell strengthened to handle the loads that rear drive would feed into the body. The rear of a FWD car is not designed for these loads.

This is EXACTLY what is needed, and requires major facility and expensive metal fabrication equipment and engineering skills which you obviously don't have or you would not be asking the question.

The only way this MIGHT be possible is to fabricate a full chassis (or use a chassis from something else) and drop the Celica body on top. This is commonly done with 4wd chassis, but the result is a high and heavy vehicle. Here in Ottawa there's a 79 Dodge Arrow (Mitsu Celeste) on a Bronco chassis, and an 82 Jaguar XJ6 on a lwb GM 4wd chassis.

Come up with another project ...

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

In Las Vegas we have a company called pick-a-part who specializes in specific parts and installations. They will help you with any info or advice you need. search their number in an internet phone directory.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:> I am going to attempt to swap in a 2jz-gte into my 02 celica, i am> aware that it is a rear wheel drive engine going into a front wheel> drive car. I would like any help that is there to be had. any advice,> websites, books, and people that i should talk to would be great. the> first big hurdles are in my mind if the engine will even fit and how to> make the car rear wheel drive without completely tearing the car apart,> rebuilding it and setting the celica shell on top of it. thanks to> anyone who replys to this.>

Reply to
Safelot

Are yew bullshittin' me? ;)

(Or are you a closet suicidal maniac?!?!) Let us know what happens...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Ha-ha, That reminds me of a guy in high school who thought he would give his firebird a targa top. I'm still laughing at the thought of what that poor firebird looked like when the body literally bent right in the middle. oh god. hahahahahahahaha

GL Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

I'd be easier if you bought a Supra to begin with.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Robert,

Are you nucking futs? Go and get yourself a nice Chevelle or something.

What you contemplate can't be done short of swapping in a frame (say, from a pick-up as sedans are all unibody) or fabricating your own - and in either case you'd better doggone well know what you are doing. And this is what you are trying to avoid - "rebuilding it and setting the celica shell on top of it."

I consider myself reasonably knowledgable and have several successful engine swaps behind me - but I would not even think about doing what you are considering.

You'd be better off finding a different engine which will bolt in to your current drivetrain configuration, or turbo/super charging your existing engine. Either option would be less expensive and certainly far safer.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

You're freaking cracked in the head. It won't fit. Not even close. Sheesh.

Reply to
dizzy