etched VIN and others

I'm buying insurance for a 2000 Toyota Camry CE. The insurance company asks about a few things that I have no answer. The manual that comes with it seems to be the one for all Camry models. So no specific info on CE model.

  1. The manual said The car has etched VIN on the windshield, driver side. I only see the mark "Toyota Glass" and some irregular numbers and letters on the glass, but nothing close to my car's VIN which starts with 4T1BG... So does my car have etched VIN?

2nd. Does my car have ABS? If it does, is it on front, rear, or 4 wheels? I can't believe the manual

3rd. Does it has daytime headlight/Running lights. I guess it would help lower my insurance premium too.

4th. My car doesn't have an alarm, but does it have any anti-theft feature? The manual's index has something called "Anti-theft Steering Column Lock", but no specific info was given. What is that and does Camry CE have it?

Thanks.

Reply to
Carry

Turn the key to the on position. The dash indicator lights that illuminate will show if your vehicle is equipped with ABS and/or a passive anti theft system. A simple visual inspection of the lamps will indicate DRLs, but DRLs do not generally earn an insurance discount.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The VIN is not etched on any glass at the factory although it does have the VIN several places. If you look at the dashboard on the driver's side from the outside, you will see a plate with the VIN. The VIN will also be on the driver's door or door sill, on the firewall, and on stickers on the doors, trunk lid, front fenders, and hood.

Having the VIN etched on the glass is an aftermarket option that some dealerships and auto glass shops offer.

Turn the ignition to the on position without starting the car. If you see an "ABS" light illumnate on the instrument panel, you have ABS.

If it has ABS, it will be on all 4 wheels.

To check for daytime running lights ("DRL"), with the headlight switch in the "off" position, start the car and look at the front headlights. If it has DRL, you will see lights illuminated in the front.

If you have a keyless entry system and the control fob says "Toyota" on it, then it has a theft deterrent system. The anti-theft steering column lock is something that every vehicle sold in the U.S. has, and keeps the steering wheel from turning when the key is removed.

Reply to
Ray O

I have a 98 Camry CE, and it doesn't have any of those options, except an alarm that was installed by a previous owner. The CE is very basic, so unless the tests in previous replies reveal you do have those options, I'd assume you do not. And in response to a previous post, the DRLs on my Vibe do qualify me for an insurance discount. Andy

Reply to
andynewhouse

In what state is that?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Just checked. My car doesn't have any of these things. How much does it cost to VIN etched? ABS installed? DRL installed?

These things seem to be some good safety features. Don't you think so? I think I wouldn't bought the car if I knew it didn't have them. Is it worth it to have them installed on my 2000 Camry now?

Reply to
Carry

My advice is to save your money.

Do you really need to have the VIN etched in the windshield?

ABS is no substitute for safe, effective braking. You can live without it.

As for DRL's, just turn your headlights on manually.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I agree heartily...especially DRL's...post a question to Philip, he's our resident expert on them...he can tell you where to go if you can't do it yourself...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

VIN should only be a few bucks, approx 100 if I recall. See if there is a kit somewhere, or if your insurance co can do it for you. I know I had mine etched when some basta...er, not nice person broke my window to steal my radio after stealing the whole CAR 2 months earlier! The glass co did it for free at the Ins. co's bidding. Call the Ins co first.

As far as DRLs, about $199 for the kit and a couple hour's installation time, total around $4-500. Hope you'll save a LOT on your insurance.

Combination of alarm and VIN etching will get you about 20%.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'm sure he can...

Reply to
Hachiroku

...and lilely will too!... :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

That one is cheap enough to do, and can be somewhat effective. But it's more effective when the car is new, now that your car is older it is most likely to be stolen to be parted out. And if it's etched, they can't reuse the glass.

Do NOT got for the kit that etches a "special code" on the glass, you have to subscribe to their service - and most people won't bother calling their 800 number to check the 'Special Code" later - too much work. That is, if the kit maker is around in a few years when the car goes missing - offices, staff, and 800 numbers cost money.

VIN numbers are easy to check - any law enforcement officer types it into their computer, and they get an answer in a few seconds.

If all the glass is etched and the thief wants to swap VIN tags with a junker and sell a hot car, they'll have to change out all the glass, too. That's more trouble than it is worth. Or they'll have to get it in a shipping container and out of the country, hopefully to a place that doesn't check VIN numbers against stolen car records.

The supplies to do it yourself can be as low as $25 - $30. The kit is a batch of custom-cut stencils with the VIN number on them, and a liquid or creme formula containing (hydrofluoric acid, IIRC) "Bug Juice" to etch the glass. It's the same stuff they use to mark the glass with the brand and date codes, but the glass factories use a rubber stamp.

Place the stencil on the window, mask around and under it in case you slop it up, daub the stencil with Bug Juice, let it work for several minutes, then wash off and neutralize the acid.

If you want it done figure about $100, you are basically buying a technician the kit and paying for their time to do the work.

Forget about it. You really have to integrate it into the car from the factory to be effective - or you'll drop more money on getting it retrofitted right than the car is worth. People have survived for a century without ABS - hell, with (1) hydraulic (2) power (3) disc brakes you are light-years ahead of the Model T, three levels of ground-breaking innovations by my count.

Go out and practice your panic braking on a dirt road or muddy/icy conditions BEFORE you get in trouble. "Pumping" the brakes is not an accurate term and implies fully releasing the pedal - you need to 'pulse' the brakes. When you feel a wheel locking up, back off the brake pedal pressure slightly till you feel it start rolling, then brake again, just not quite as hard this time, then try easing on a bit harder. Repeat every second or two - conditions change.

If you get your brain trained to be your own ABS System, there's nothing mechanical to go wrong. The stopping distance won't be quite as short as an electronic ABS system, but far better than just mashing the brake pedal to the floor and skidding into the wreck.

That's not expensive at all - they have kits available that you tap into the control line to the headlight relays.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

There is a small window in the top of the dash board that you can see through when standing outside the car. In this window is the VIN.

Why not? The manual is your friend.

Put your car in front of a reflective surface with it running and in Drive and with the Parking Brake OFF. If you see the headlights on, or some other lights, then you have Daytime Running Lights.

When you take the key out, the steering locks. What more does the manual need to say?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It has the VIN. Period. The VIN can be etched into the glass if you want. Go to an auto glass store for pricing. Personally, I don't think it's worth it. To find the VIN, look in through the windshield in the bottom corner near the steering wheel. There is a rectangular hole in the top of the dash board that has a plate with the VIN stamped on it. Now, look on the doors and fenders (under the hood and trunk lid) and you should find stickers with the VIN.

It would be cheaper to trade your car for one tha thas ABS than to have ABS installed. You need loads of expensive stuff to fit ABS into your car. Frankly, I'm shocked that you don't have ABS already. It is pretty much standard equipment anymore.

DRLs can be added relatively easily. Mostly you need a DRL module, but I think it's a pricey item. I'm not sure you would gain much from it in terms of reduced insurance premiums.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland