extended warranty 2005 Camry ?

Toyota sells an extended warranty to 100,000 miles and 7 years for about $1400 for zero deductible and $1500 for $50.00 deductible. I don't know how negotiable it is but I think it is as Honda came down to $1000.00. Are these warranties worth the money because you need to subtract the standard of 36 months and 36,000 miles. If I could get Toyota closer to a $1000 I think I'd be tempted to buy it. Toyota says the balance is refundable if the car is traded in and transferable if sold. That could make it much easier to sell a 75,000 mile car after owning it for 5 years. Comments appreciated.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

It is really an insurance policy. It depends on how long you own your car, and how well you care for it.

You can buy these warranties on some websites from other Toyota dealers. Do a Google search.

Anything the dealer sells has a profit margin for the dealer that makes the sale, so by definition it is negotiable.

Reply to
Mark A

Make sure it is a manufacters warranty and not 3rd party. The tire options are worthless since they only cover original tires. I agree they may improve resale value but only in a private sale. If you trade the warranty will get lost in the shuffle.

Reply to
Art

Shop around. I just purchased a Toyota 7-year, 100,000 mile, zero deductible extended warranty for my '05 Avalon for $985. Purchased from an out of state Toyota dealer. Bob

Reply to
BushkaBob

You should have gone to a Las Vegas bookie and BET him $985 you car will break down in less than 7yr/100K. Your would have a least gotten odds. As it is if you have a $1,000 repair, that may be covered, you are still out $15 plus the interest on $985 for the term of your loan ;)

mike hunt

BushkaBob wrote:

Reply to
IleneDover

Waste of money. Heck, the powertrain is already covered for 5 yrs, 60K. Now true, you get an extra 40,000 miles, but only one extra year. I'd out the money in the back.

Reply to
No one here

Depends what you mean by "worth the money".

If you mean, on average, do buyers come out ahead - obviously no. On average, any insurer comes out ahead.

If you mean, will it protect me from the slim chance of a very expensive repair that would devastate me financially, it might be worth it, if the fine print shows that it's legitimate.

Most people can afford the risk and come out ahead by self-insuring.

Reply to
kgold