Extended warranty?

'05 Scion tC, remainder of three year-36,000 mile warranty.

Has 11,200 on it, so 2/3 of the warranty is left.

Dealer 'offered' me a warranty, 6 years/70,000 miles for $1295. It runs CONCURRENT with the MFGs warranty, which means I'm paying $1295 for FOUR years.

OK, Ray, what kind of 'deal' can I make on the warranty? Seems like 'double-dipping' to me!

Reply to
Hachiroku

You can buy those warranties on the web.

I'd get a web price and negotiate....if you really think an extended warranty on a Toyota is a good deal.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

That price is too high.

You can get a Platinum (Top of the line) Warranty at 100,000 miles, 6 years with zero deductible, for less than that. I am talking about coverage provided by Toyota, not third party providers.

You can wait until you are about to hit 36,000 miles and see how your car fairs out, then decide whether you need the warranty or not.

Call different dealers and ask for quotes, and negotiate. They will bring the price down. They normally finance it at 0% APR for 12 months.

--Ibrahim

Hachiroku wrote:

Reply to
p_man101

Keep in mind that the factory powertrain warranty is longer than the 36/36 warranty. I am not a fan of extended service contracts, but if you decide to get one, get an Extra Care one. Personally, I'd make good friends with the service department so if something breaks, they will be more likely to go to bat for you with the DSM.

Reply to
Ray O

An extended warranty is never a good deal on any vehicle,. Historically only around one percent of all extended warranties ever pay out more than the original cost for the plan and the deductibles.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You can check out the forums at Tundrasolutions.com or SiennaClub.org.

Reply to
Tom

Dealership is in Lunenberg, "Rusty Jones" is now owned by an "I don't care" beancounter, and Noho probably isn't rating me too highly right now... ;)

Looks Like Bellows Falls is the next best thing!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah, I did post a message here about a guy in Denver that bought his car there and then bought his warranty right in my home town...2000 miles away! His 'blog' said you can buy the warranty anywhere, and it's honored by Toyota everywhere.

Thanks for reminding me, Ibrahim!

Reply to
Hachiroku

For once, we agree. However, on Ford products, I have to wonder.

Reply to
sharx35

I believe the dealership in Lunenberg has changed hands since I used to call on them, unless it is still Starr.

You might also want to check out the dealerships in Keene, Bennington, N. Adams, and if you want to travel, Claremont.

Reply to
Ray O

I guess you missed the part that said, one percent of all extended warranties ever pay out more than the original cost for the plan and the deductibles. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Keene is the closest in this lot. They were pretty good, too. My mom bought her '86 Camry there.

I did find a Lexus dealer selling warranties on line. The same warranty the dealer wants $1295 for can be had from them for $700!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Like I said, I am not a fan of extended service contracts, but if you really want one, the on-line one sounds like the cheapest way to go!

Reply to
Ray O

Unfortunately, my experience with the dealer I worked for was to get the DSM to back *THEM* up on making the customer pay!

Most of the dealers are not like you remember, Ray. The Indies are going, and the Conglomerates are taking over. They just care about the sale, and then making money on service after the sale, and not really on Customer Satisfaction! The "Rusty Jones" dealership, even after it changed hands, was still a 'small town' dealer, with a lot of the same people that were there when Bud was there. There still are a few, and they still have the same people thay've had for 15-20 years, but the new owner owns a VW/Audi/Saab/Volvo dealer from the Springfield area, and really is just using the dealer as a Printing Pre$$. I used to get parts delivered there, on Toyota trucks, from different parts ditributors from all over the place. When I ordered my tank earlier this year, Gordy looked at me and said...I don't think I can do that! If it's not on their list, they'll either send it back, or I'll get in big trouble!

I also lost my discount there...I've had a discount with them for 6 years!

Reply to
Hachiroku

If one is going to buy an extended warranty the ONLY one to buy is one sold by the vehicles manufacture. However, since historically only around one percent of ALL the extended warranties sold ever pay out more than the cost to the plan plus the deductible, one is better off to put the cost of an extended warranty, and the interest they would pay if it is part of their finance contract, in a bank account. Make any repairs that would have been cover by that warranty, from that account. Don't forget add in the deductible on each repair. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I keep seeing you repeat this, but I'd really like to see you support this claim with some facts.

jim menning

Reply to
jim menning

Funny how car manufactures have shifted the burden of warranty costs onto the customer. Especially in an age where cars should be more reliable. Extended warranties are a real profit center for dealers. Shop around for pricing as you have found out. Read the fine print on the policy to see what it really covers. Many consumer groups have written about this issue and if it is a good deal or not.

Reply to
toyomoho

Bud (Jerry) passed away a few years ago. He was the only dealer sales manager that I kept in touch with all those years. He always helped me out by buying the slow-selling models, and his word was as good as gold.

I didn't realize Gordy was still around - tell him I said hi!

Reply to
Ray O

Payouts are not published by extended warranty companies, you may be able to find a public one and find their financial statement. 3% rings a bell in my mind for Extra Care, probably because they are more liberal in payouts.

Toyota's Extra Care Service Contract is pretty liberal about paying claims and has fewer loopholes. For example, most aftermarket ones do not cover failures of or caused by seals and gaskets, but I believe the Extra Care one does cover seals and gaskets.

Reply to
Ray O

Sucker bait. $700 is STILL far too much.

Reply to
sharx35