Extended warranty?

Hey, Sharx, considering the HORROR STORIES I saw when I was working at a dealer...

One woman came in with her Camry; one of the motors in the Power Driver's Seat had taken an early retirement.

OUR COST on the motor (which, in all honesty looked like a power window motor) was $417!!! We sure weren't giving the customer nay discount on that price, and since then the dealer has been taken over by one of the greediest SOBs I have ever met in my entire life (The number one reason I am no longer working there). We were paying 5% over dealer cost for our parts; after this guy took over we were getting 10% OFF. I was ordering my parts through the dealer I had been working at before, since he was getting 25% off!!!

All in all, these days a couple of what used to be MINOR repairs can run well into that $700, and if some control module needs to be replaced it has paid for itself.

I am still debating, but the warranty seems to be an OK deal...

There are also others available from Ford, Nissan AC Delco and GE... They pay in the event of a BREAKDOWN but only a breakdown, and the next best one costs $250 more!

Reply to
Hachiroku

$800 with a Zero $ Deductable...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah, man, Bud's death was a real loss!!! He was a great guy. And the thing was, they were all local, they were all personable, and you had a friend for life with them!

Gordy's REALLY under pressure there now, now that the Beancounters are running the place!

Reply to
Hachiroku

**THUD!!!**

Toyota offers a Zero Deductible option available from a dealer in CT, 7 years/75,000 miles, for $800.

If you want the $50 deductible, the cost of the plan is $750...

Seems like a No Brainer to me... These ARE Toyota Factory Warranties (Extra Care) I am talking about. It was the least expensive one available!

Reply to
Hachiroku

One can make good money working for a very busy store, but the pressure goes up even more than the $$!

Reply to
Ray O

You don't have to buy that warranty till the last of the factory warranty, right?

If that is the case, why not just buy the car and NEGOTIATE for a couple of years?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

One is always free to believe whatever they wish. I spent 50 years in the business and sold hundreds of ESPs. If you chose not to take my advice, based on my years of experience, then you need not. I don't run a reference library and I don't do home work for my own grand children, do your own research ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You better READ what is covered, if you believe that is worth buying. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I won't. Unsupported "facts" are worthless.

jim menning

Reply to
jim menning

Like I said, you are free to believe whatever they wish.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Well, for one, the price will only go up!

And, no matter WHEN you buy it, it starts on the first day the car was in 'service' with Zero miles.

It does not start from the day you buy it!

Reply to
Hachiroku

My wife bought one on her 97 Corolla.

The warranty people are happy.

We wasted whatever it cost her....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

GAMBLING ANYONE?

What is an extended warranty? A wager between two parties. Look at what each party brings to the table:

The manufacturer, with all his collective experience, design specs, intimate knowledge of assembly techniques, tolerances, quality control, etc., is betting that the product will not fail in any manner specified in the warranty during the warranty period which will cost more than the price of the warranty to repair (note who writes up the terms of the warranty).

You, with no knowledge of the product, have only a vague fear that it will catastrophically break down during the warranty period and that repair of such failure will cost far more than the price of the warranty. On what do you base this opinion? Are you intentionally buying what you consider to be junk?

Cars, motorcycles, computers, and Zippo lighters are all manufactured using statistical sampling techniques for quality control. The normal warranty that comes with each is an admission of that it is entirely possible (eventually, inevitable) that an individual product will not live up to the quality of the group. It allows the manufacturer to catch the odd substandard product and bring it up to his standards of quality, without having to exhaustively test each step of each product throughout its manufacture. Once the product makes it through the initial warranty period (whether it required service under that warranty or not), the manufacturer knows that it is "up to snuff," i.e., conforms to his specs, quality, etc. At this point, he *knows* how long it will last. An *extended* warranty is not a safety net for the manufacturer, it is a chance to make money, by making a wager with the customer concerning the performance of the product -- *his* product. He knows it better than you.

Do you wanna bet?

-Don (well, DO you??)

Reply to
Don Fearn

Well, you're talking to someone who has pretty much driven NOTHING but Toyotas.

I also had the ass't service manager at the dealer I bought my Corolla GT-S confuse the living HELL out of me, trying to tell me the car needed a new head gasket at 12,000 miles (just out of warranty, mind you!) and then charged me $400 for it in 1986 (well, if this part wears out, water will get into the engine, yada yada yada. I thought he was talking about a cylinder liner! if he had just said, "Head Gasket".) Granted, the car now has 259,882 miles on it and has hardly needed any kind of repair since (Fuel pump at 165,000 at $490...) and a few other minor things.

BUT I have also seen Toyota's quality slipping a bit in the past couple years. I think perhaps they have gotten too big?

Yup, it's a gamble. But, if my $1800 ECU goes out at 60,000 miles, I win! For no money out of my pocket.

I think it comes down to peace of mind. For 7 years, I don't have to worry about too much...

Reply to
Hachiroku

No Toyota owner that I know personally would have EVER benefitted from an extended warranty. NO ONE. Not a one. Extended warranties are for suckers who deserve to be separated from their money.

Reply to
sharx35