Faint occassional 'chirp' while driving

We have a 2004 Avalon XLS. Occasionally (not very often), when driving, I hear a faint, sharp "chirp" (beep), from the front dash area. Any ideas on what it is (a Google search was no help)? Thanks, Greg :-)

Reply to
Greg Stuart

Assuming that you are describing an electronic sound as opposed to a squeak from something that is loose or rubbing, does this happen when the ambient temperature is around 32 degrees fahrenheit (O Celsius)?

I do not know if the '04 Avalon has this feature, but a friend's SUV sounds a beep when ambient temperature is around freezing to warn of the possibility of ice on the road. Check your owner's manual in the section about the outside temperature display.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
Greg Stuart

Hopefully, that's it!

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

My mom drives a 2005 Echo and when she is getting low on gas it makes a sharp chirp like sound. It may be as simple as that. Brian

Reply to
Brian

Update re: 2004 Toyota Avalon XLS and occassional electronic 'chirp' sound. I've heard the same "chirp" a couple more times in the past few days, all in a similar location, near the intersection on I-40 in Durham NC at the "Streets at Southpoint" (mall) exit.

It's been very mild here, lately (well above freezing). I've thoroughly checked my owner's manual, and I cannot find any relevant information, including Ray's suggestion, below (outside temperature disaplay, freezing warning).

The car had one previous owner; I wonder (outside chance) if it might have a radar detector or some other sensor installed, that I am unaware of?

Aga>Good point - It was chilly (slight above freezing) last evening, here

Reply to
Greg Stuart

Hmmm, you should be able to spot a radar detector under the hood, probably in front of the radiator, if one is installed. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Reply to
Ray O

That is interesting. I have a new 2006 Honda minivan and got the same occassional chirp in the same location of durham. I had some people with me who wanted to know what it was. I had no idea. My minivan has sensors on the bumpers to warn of oncoming barriers. I was thinking maybe an insect flew by a sensor but now who knows......

Reply to
Art

That was the same complaint you had with the Avalon.

Reply to
The beneVolent dbu

Nope, never had an electronic beep from my 2001 Avalon. Just rattles and clicks from the dashboard and outside windshield trim.

Reply to
Art

Hello again! Here is an update re: the intermittant 'chirp' sound in my 2004 Avalon XLS.

This morning, while driving to work, I heard it again, clearly originating from the front radio / climate control panel. It was ~40 degrees F at the time; I had started the car "cold", and had been driving for several minutes. The other times I recall hearing it, it has also been within several minutes of starting the car and driving (e.g., from the gym). I now suspect that this chirp is a audible indicator, perhaps that the climate control system has "warmed up" and is ready for normal use, or perhaps a switch from internally-recycled air to the outside air source?

This morning, I had briefly set the temperature control to maximum ("Hot") for a few minutes, then back to "Auto" at 75 deg. F, with the A/C on (my "default" settings). Very shortly thereafter (perhaps less than 1 minute?) is when I heard the 'chirp.'

Thanks aga>

Reply to
Greg Stuart

At this point, your guesses are as good as mine. Perhaps qslm can provide an answer.

Reply to
Ray O