fj cruiser rant

My wife and I need a new car. Requirements: 4wd, ac, 4 person, towing capacity, preferably manual trans. and reliable. Don't want the fluff. No leather, roof racks etc. just basic, good design. I've always had good fortune with Hondas, Subarus and other Japanese vehicles so that's what I prefer. Then I read about the fj Cruiser. Exactly what we're looking for, and it's +/- 23k according to the Toyota "build your Toyota " site. Sounds like what we need. So, yesterday I have her go test drive the vehicle. She drove both an auto and a 6 spd. She loves the 6 speed. We want to buy a car. No financing, no trades. cash deal, right now. Then the dealer tells her that he can't get us an fj Cruiser without optional packages. The least optioned one he has is 32k. He claims that they all come with extensive options here in the NYC tri-state area. (I'm in NJ) and that we won't find one equipped how we prefer. I ask him to try and find one, I'll wait. His response: If I will give the dealership a significant, non-refundable deposit, he'll put in a request to have one allocated here, but that it might take 6-9 months. During that wait I'd be locked in to my price, and I won't be able to purchase another car until the 9 month period is up. That's ridiculous. I called Toyota customer service today. I asked them if they could tell me where such a car might be located. They state that they will not tell customers where certain vehicles may be obtained. They aren't permitted, and advised that I go to the dealer. I explained what the dealer proposed and they had no alternatives for me. So, it seems to me some policy making executive is missing the point. Toyota strives to market research a niche, then design and build a desirable product and then try to sell the public on that product. Then when they succeed, they keep the location of the product a secret! We have a company that produces a car they want to sell, and a there is a buyer who wants to buy it, the only stumbling block is that the Corporate policy is not to tell the customer where to find that product. Absurd. Anybody have any advice? I would love to buy the vehicle, but I'm not calling every dealership in the nation.

Reply to
sw

I would go back to toyota.com and use varies zip codes around the country.

Build your FJ and request a quote.

Let them come to you.

Be prepared for a 'road trip'....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

The reason that the Customer Relations analyst is not allowed to tell you which dealer has the vehicle you want is because the automaker cannot steer customers to one dealership or another, other than to tell you which dealership is closed to a geographic location. Large dealerships tend to have more selection than small dealerships, and it would appear that the automaker is favoring large dealers over small ones, a violation of antitrust laws.

I would try another dealership in your area to see if they would offer a more favorable deposit policy, or contact a dealership outside of the New York region to see if they can check inventory in their region for the vehicle you want. Pennsylvania is covered by Central Atlantic Toyota, and the New England states other than CT is covered by the Boston Regional office.

Reply to
Ray O

I found 1 dealer today willing to take a $500 refundable deposit to "look" for a car for me. The only point not yet clear is how long he can hold the deposit before having to return it if he can't locate a vehicle. My wife was negotiating all this while I was at work today, and she didn't get a straight answer from the dealer. I will have to clarify this before proceeding. Or do as you suggest....call dealers in other locations and hunt for the vehicle myself. After asking toyota to tell me where these non-optioned vehicles were, I was schooled by them in the reason why toyota can't refer me to a specific dealership. So, I then asked them for the allocation list of ALL the vehicles in the Northeast. I figured that that wouldn't single out any one dealership as a referral and would therefore be okay. Nope, they wouldn't do it. It would seem to me that Toyota would want to sell me this car. If the strategy is to hope that if they ship cars with option packages to the wealthy market regions that consumers there will buy them anyway, they may be mistaken. It's not that those markets don't have the qualified buyers with the disposable $, they do, but for 32k and above I'll buy something else. Which is much more appealing than a 23k car overpimped to sell at 32k.

I'm off to the dealers tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how I made out.

Steve

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
sw

[...]

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
sw

My advice...buy a different make. If enough people get tired of Toyota dealers jerking them around maybe someone will pay attention. If you insist on buying a specific make & model then you're just begging to be taken for a ride.

Reply to
Bobby The D

Google is your friend, and Vehix.com (or however you spell it!) is the Google of the car world!

Check both those out and try to locate what you want. You may want to try Balise in W. Sprigfield, MA or Toyota of Greenfield. They might have a better chance of getting you what you want, and you can take a scenic ride through New England to boot!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Buy a Ford and find out why we put up with Toyota dealers...LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I thought I'd heard of just about every customer request, that is a new one! That is a creative solution, and if I were the CR analyst, I would have been tempted to comply. The logistics of getting the info to you might have been tricky, but I have a hard time arguing with a solution that is legal ;-)

In most regions, the distribution departments try to comply with dealer requests for options and models within a series. Traditional wisdom for dealers is to load up the vehicles while demand exceeds supply, then as sales slack off, back off on the options, and I suspect that is what dealers wanted during initial production.

New Englanders seem to be very thrifty and dealers there do ask for a few basic models even during startup production, and so you may have a little better luck asking a Boston Region dealer (MA, RI, VT, NH, ME) if they will find one for you. Call the dealer in Hyannis, MA and see if they'll help you out.

Reply to
Ray O

Yabbut, isn't Florida served by Gulf States Distributing, home of the Port-installed Pack Options you don't want, but have to pay for?

Steve W:

If you want the excuse for a trip to Disneyland (where they're going all-out for both Halloween and Christmas) Knott's Berry Farm and Universal Studios Hollywood, and a leisurely Road Trip home, try inquiring about the car you want at

inCarson, California and talk to Dianne. They'll make arrangements to get you from the airport to the dealer

- that's what she did for me when she was running a dealership in Northern California and I bought a car from Southern California, a porter picked us up in Oakland and drove us over. Flew there, purchased the car, and drove home in one day.

You would have a bit longer drive, but everyone needs a Road Trip or two in their life. You can take "Route 66" back to be different.

And there are many other dealerships across the country that specialize in Fleet sales over the net - some of them might have a glut of FJ Cruisers because they just don't sell in that area. Or they all want them WITH the leather and gee-gaws.

Now that the Web is there, you aren't stuck dealing with those crooks at that Stealership just because they are close to your home.

I read the original post, and that offer was almost criminal "can't buy from anyone else while the deal is in effect, and we set the price no haggling." Yeah, Right, Suuuure...

The FJ Cruiser might be hot right now, but it won't be in a month or two when supply catches up to demand, and all the "Barefoot Pilgrims" have already over-paid to be the first on their block. Being locked in to a deal at the 'Hot Car' price even after the rush is over would be insane.

-->--

PS: Make a few paragraph breaks, guy!

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Actually, Florida is served by Southesat Toyota Distributors, home of the port-installed pack options you don't want but have to pay for ;-)

Toyota does not allow dealers to convert fleet inventory to retail delivery very easily, and an organization has to have at least 5 vehicles registered to qualify as a fleet buyer.

Reply to
Ray O

You don't 'have' to buy a Toy in the South East....

There are very good service departments in Florida, however...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Oops. My bad. Had a 50-50 chance to get it wrong... ;-)

In the Car Capitol of the US that's not difficult at all, Ray. Around here you *always* keep a spare car if you can, the public transit sucks rocks. Big ones.

Between myself and Dad (a mutual benefit organization): 61 Corvair,

88 FJ-62 Cruiser, 93(?) Saturn SL2, 99 Pontiac TransSport, 99 C3500 Silverado utility bed.

If you want to stretch the definition of 'registered vehicles' a bit there's a Honda Odyssey FL350 (ORV tags) and flatbed trailer, Signal Corps PE-95G 10KW Generator and Henry Spen (Willys OE) trailer, and Coleman Caboose utility trailer.

5 vehicles to qualify? We're good, even if we sell off a few. ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

If they're registered to the same owner, you are a fleet!!! There are certainly benefits to having more cars than drivers!

Reply to
Ray O

Scott in Florida wrote:>

ONe Toyota was more than enough.

Reply to
Bobby The D

Hey now...I was a staunch Ford supporter....until they stopped making cars I wanted and made me buy a Yaris! :)

Reply to
seerialmom

We are getting about 1 or 2 FJ Cruisers a month from Japan. Most are sold before they arrive. The odd exception. The initial response was enormous. Grab everything off the shelf. Now, it's changing.

I have a C Package, Automatic in yellow not sold.

John Fischer Metro Toyota Duncan Duncan, BC

250-746-5111

2007 FJCruiser 4WD SUV Automatic Transmission Exterior Colour: Sun Fusion Interior Colour: Dark Charcoal BU11FP C 02JU

All prices reflect Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP)

October 21, 2006

01:59 AM, EDT

Taxes and Levies shown are applicable in British Columbia FACTORY OPTIONS Package C

- Rear Differential Lock

- Active Traction Control System (ATRAC)

- In Dash 6-Disc CD Changer

- Steering Wheel Audio Controls

- 2 Additional Speakers

- FJammer High Grade Audio System

- Front Side Airbags

- Front and Rear / Side Curtain Airbags

- Cruise Control

- Clearance and Back up Sensor

- Outside Temperature Gauge

- 400 W (115V) Power Outlet

- Inclinometer

- Compass

- Roof Rack

- Rear Window Wiper/Washer

- Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel

- Metallic Shift Knob

- Colour Keyed Interior Door Trim

- Keyless Entry

- Exterior Mirror Image Lamps

FINANCE/CASH VEHICLE PRICE MSRP $37,260.00 SUBTOTAL for Finance/Cash $37,260.00

Administration Fee Included Documentation Charge N/C Freight and Delivery $1,390.00 Lien Registration Fee Not Applicable Battery Levy $5.00 Federal Excise Tax - Air Conditioning $100.00 Tire Levy $15.00 SUBTOTAL for Finance/Cash $38,770.00

Trade-In Value* $0.00 SUBTOTAL for Finance/Cash $38,770.00

GST (6.0%) $2,326.20 Social Services Tax (7.0%) $2,712.50 TOTAL for Finance/Cash $43,808.70 LEASE**** VEHICLE PRICE MSRP $37,260.00 SUBTOTAL for Lease $37,260.00

Administration Fee Included Documentation Charge N/C Freight and Delivery $1,390.00 Lien Registration Fee Not Applicable Battery Levy $5.00 Federal Excise Tax - Air Conditioning $100.00 Tire Levy $15.00 SUBTOTAL for Lease $38,770.00

Trade-In Value* $0.00 SUBTOTAL for Lease $38,770.00 TOTAL for Finance $43,808.70 FINANCE PAYMENT @ 60 months / 7.3% ** TOTAL for Lease $38,770.00 LEASE PAYMENT @ 48 months / 8.55% **

Base Payment $638.16 GST (6.0%) $38.29 Social Services Tax (7.0%) $44.67 MONTHLY PAYMENT $873.68 MONTHLY PAYMENT $721.12 Lease End Value*** $17,884.80 AMOUNTS DUE AT DELIVERY AMOUNTS DUE AT DELIVERY Refundable Security Deposit***** $725.00 Down Payment $0.00 First Payment $721.12 TOTAL $0.00

  • Trade-In Value must be determined by the delivering dealership and is subject to approved credit from Toyota Financial Services.

** The Toyota Financial Services interest rate shown can fluctuate. Please see your Toyota dealership for details. Toyota Financial Services calculates interest using an Annualized Percentage Rate of Interest (A.P.R.). TOTAL $1,446.12 ONE TIME PAYMENT? $29,936.87

  • Trade-In Value must be determined by the delivering dealership and is subject to approved credit from Toyota Financial Services.

** The Toyota Financial Services interest rate shown can fluctuate. Please see your Toyota dealership for details. Toyota Financial Services calculates interest using an Annualized Percentage Rate of Interest (A.P.R.).

*** Lease End Value is for Personal Use Only

**** Minimum Insurance Requirements for Lease: $1,000,000 third Party Liability, Maximum Deductible $1000.00

***** Security Deposit is refundable at the conclusion of the lease

? For your convenience, you can lease this vehicle as a One Time Payment option. This payment amount includes taxes, levies, fees, freight & delivery charges. Above "Amounts Due at Delivery" are included; however, "First Payment" and "Down Payment" are not applicable, and therefore, they are not included in the One Payment Lease. The amount shown above as "Refundable Security Deposit" will differ with the One Time Payment; it will be a flat amount based on the MSRP as follows: $350 for MSRP $24,999. Lease End Value will apply. Please see your dealer for complete details.

MSRP is the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price in Canadian dollars.

Prices do NOT include insurance and license fees, or any additional products or services that may be made available to you through your selected Toyota Dealership. Dealer may sell for less.

A Toyota dealer is free to set its own selling price for Toyota products and services.

Price includes Roadside Assistance, a full tank of gas and floor mats (floor mats included with carpeted vehicles only).

Additional downpayment may be required if trade-in value is lower than amount owing on trade-in.

For calculation purposes, all accessory pricing includes installation (if required). However, because the cost of doing business varies, the installation portion of the price may not be exact cost of installation at a dealership. Please confirm accessory pricing with a Toyota Dealership.

Reply to
Hauli

Okay, but that's in "Funny Money" (Cdn$) with all the GST and VAT and such. And then we have to deal with import duties and Customs issues...

Sell them to the other Canadians up there, okay? And the 'Grab them Now, they're changing' part? Hype, hype, hype. Those who buy on hype are going to end up in the poorhouse real fast.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman