Flat tire: repair or replace (one or two)?

Lucky me, I have never had a flat tire that I had to deal with myself, until today that is, so please advise:

Today, as I drove my 98 Camry, I discovered it had a flat tire. By then I was in very busy traffic. I do not know if it was already flat when I parked it yesterday, obviously I hadn't noticed. Today, I probably drove around 4 city blocks before finding a safe parking spot. It was rather late, so I decided to deal with it tomorrow.

Tomorrow I will face the problem of deciding if I should repair the tire (if it is repairable) or change it. If I change, should I change one or two? I am driving 300 miles this weekend for Father's Day, so I need to make a wise choice.

BTW the tires are Goodyear Regata, 205/65/15. Though in good shape, they are probably a few years old (bought it used) and exact match may not be available.

I can drive short distance on the spare. Please advise the best course!

Reply to
Ajanta

If you drive very far on a completely flat radial tire, then often times the tire is ruined and cannot be repaired. A tire dealer will be able tell if you can get it repaired. If you purchase new tires, you should always replace at least 2 tires at the same time.

Reply to
Mark A

Just to second what Mark said.... the tire might be ruined, depending how far you drove on it. And replacing radials is done in pairs.

Reply to
Hopkins

Is your spare a space-saver or a full-size one?

If it's a full-size one, and you end up buying 2 new tires, this may be a good time to replace the spare if it's fairly old. Just use the good one that you replace.

Reply to
Hopkins

It is always advisable to have the same type of tire on the same axle. You would be better served buying two new tires, since you drove so far on the deflated tire that its integrity has most likely has been compromised.

mike hunt

Ajanta wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson

if its repariable, repair it, replacing one tire will be fine, the differential will account for any slight tread/wear/airpressure difference between the two tires, that's what it is there for. I have never had a problem with replacing a single tire.

Reply to
bungalow_steve

The highly corporate, highly profit-motivated tire dealer with the crystal white waiting room, free coffee and popcorn, etc. in town practically demands you replace all four tires for any reason (hmmm, dirt in the treads, must replace all four).

On the other hand, the family-run dealer with the slightly run down building that has been owned by the same family since the 1960s usually has more budget friendly ideas.

Last visit I had shredded a front tire. My tires had about 15,000 miles on them. He suggested that I move the remaining front tire to the rear, and move the rear tires to the front (rotation).

Then replace the shredded tire with a new tire. He said leaving it on the front could create some quirky handling, but it would be no problem on the rear.

That was a year ago. He was right.

If your tire is beyond repair, and it's axle mate is down pretty far on tread anyway, it would probably be easiest just to get two new tires and put them on the rear. However, as in the case of mine, the axlemate has plenty of good tread, you should ask your dealer about just replacing one.

Unless all four tires are far gone, there is absolutely no reason to replace all of them. Be sure if you only get two tires, the new ones go on the rear, otherwise you end up with oversteering problems.

Reply to
timbirr

I was in this situation a few years ago on my '99 Camry. When I was driving to work one morning, after some 2 miles of driving I found some thing wrong with front right left side tire and when I checked The tire was flat and there was a screw nicely stuck into it.

One tire repair guy said it can be repaired but another one said since I drove some distance with flat and no air in tire, the weight of car will damage the side wall and though the puncture can be repaired the side wall is weak and may give away suddenly. The tires were new at that time so I bought another new one to replace the flat one.

Venkat

Ajanta wrote:

Reply to
vktechmails

The tire dealer can tell if the old tire can be repaired when they get it off the rim and inspect it, they look for tread and liner damage, and signs of cord damage inside the tire carcass.

Some service shops condemn most of the flat tires that come in just so they can sell you a new one, so go somewhere you feel they'll be honest. (Not a big chain store that's been busted for stuff like that lots of times, and they just don't learn...)

If the old tires have most of their tread left, you can replace just one tire, but on the drive axle it's better to do both tires - if one tire is worn more than the other (or worse, a tire size bigger), it causes a bit more wear on the differential as it thinks you're going around a slight turn all day. Not enough to worry about just from tire wear, but...

And if the car is All Wheel Drive all four tires need to be the same size and roughly the same wear, or all three differentials do this, too. The Owners Manual will explain it all.

If you change two tires, save the good old one. (Plastic trash bag, cool dry place, not crushed.) I hate temporary spares, if you get a used rim for it you can use it as a full-service spare tire. (Great for vacations where they'll ding you double for a new tire in the boonies.)

And the next time you damage a tire, you have one. That method has already saved me $125 once - ripped a tire open on rebar sticking out the end of a broken concrete parking bumper. Put the new full size spare on the car, had a good used tire at home from the last set of four, had it mounted it on the spare tire rim, all done.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Last time I got a set of 4 Avid Touring tires on my 2K Maxima and they were noisy. However, the performace seems better than Michelin's.

"Daniel" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... Doesn't sound like you'll want to do this, but I always like to buy a set of four (4) tires, so they're identical on all four corners. Last set was Avid touring

for my size ran under $250 installed (local price matchTireRack.com)Also, if you get in the habit of checking tire pressure weekly (anexcellent performance and safety enhancement) you will almost alwaysspot a nail, screw or whatever usually causes a flat before ruining thetire such that a tire shop can remove the tire, patch from the insideand reinstall. Never had a problem doing that long as the hole is inthe tread area.
Accu-Gage® S... Series Tire Gauges for $10 works great.

Reply to
Paul

And if you have an AWD Sienna with the run flats, replacing all four can get a bit pricey.

All the advice to replace tires in pairs or all four will always be followed by "it depends". In this case on your driving style and risk taking behavior. Yes you can drive a rear or front wheel drive car with four different tires, but your braking, steering and handling will be less than optimal. If you drive very slowly on dry roads you are fine - like the people in Florida. I don't drive like this, so I want all four tires the same make/model/size/condition.

Reply to
ma_twain

I used to have to write at least 2 monthly product reports. The subject on one was specified by the national service department and the subject of the other was up to the district service manager's discretion.

One of the assignments was a tire survey on non-Toyota vehicles. We had to write down the model, model year, and tires installed on 20 vehicles. I was cruising down the highway minding my own business and a Massachusetts State Trooper stepped on to the shoulder and flagged me down to have a chat. Parked along the highway were about a dozen Crown Vics, and after we had our chat, I politely explained my tire survey assignment to the trooper and asked if it was OK to check out the tires on some of the cruisers. He gave me permission and I was surprised to find that almost every cruiser had 4 different brands and tire patterns and many were down to 2/32" or less tread depth.

Reply to
Ray O

Unless all four tires are far gone, there is absolutely no reason to replace all of them.

------------------------ I wouldn't say "absolutely"

When I was experimenting with slight tire pressure variations, raising the front tire pressure slightly seemed to make the rear tires hit expansion joints harder. Simplest way I can put it, since your tire's contact patch is about the size of a hand print, imagine a giant holding up your car at all four corners. As the car's weight shifts and moves around, it stresses all four corners. More significant at the limits of adhesion I suppose. Conventional wisdom is that if you keep the two same brand and type of tire construction on each "axle" you'll have no steering or stability problems, but I don't believe that's the whole story for more spirited driving practices.

Reply to
Daniel

Did you ask the troopers if this situation was their decision? I suspect some bean counter told the maintenance department they needed to save money and tires was one of the areas chosen. Would you suspect they bought used tires because they were cheaper? This would explain the different brands, otherwise I would think you would get a better deal buying new tires the same make/model in volume. This is how they sell tires to consumers - buy 3 get the 4th free. In the case of a police department buy 300 and get the next 150 free?

Mike Hunt has experience maintaining fleets - what is your experience with tires on fleet vehicles?

Reply to
ma_twain

The troop was not even aware of the situation until I brought it to his attention. Even then, he didn't seem to care too much because he said that the car handled OK (which goes agains conventional wisdom about mixing tires and patterns)

I doubt if even Mass would purchase used tires.

My purely speculative guess is that cruisers are equipped with snow tires in the winter and the wheels that come off the cars are then randomly re-installed in the spring. Rotating tires and replacing damaged ones just gets the mix a little more random.

Maybe Mike Hunt can provide a more educated explanation?

Reply to
Ray O

I never mess with tires when I buy a car. I have a new tire on a new rim in the trunk, as well as the dolly carriage tire they give you, ya never know. I brought my '03 Corolla to the dealer Saturday to replace the mirror that had been lopped off, see prior post. Asked them to to check the right front tire, it looked low. Tire had a nail in it, they fixed it up, put my new mirror on, I was on my way. But there's a new tire ready to go if needed. And the dolly tire is still there. Be prepared, but don't be so scared. You folks are so full of information, and so worried that your cars are not running on a rail. I'm prepared as best I can be, and I love a road trip. And I take them all the time. If something happens, it happens, I've been driving for 35 years, things happen. Don't fret about what could happen. It's a car. If you think about only the car while you're driving, then maybe you have the wrong car.

Reply to
mmward

Thanks to all who replied in this thread. I owe you an update:

I took the car to the nearest service facility and they said the tire was repairable. So I got it repaired. Then, as I needed to drive around for other errands anyway, I stopped at three different places and got the following opinion on my tires:

Sears: Sidewalls look damaged. Could blow. Change soon.

Pep Boys: Tires are fine. Good for another 1-2 years.

Walmart: Tires are fine but tread down to 5-7 range (he actually measured it). Could go 1-2 years but I'd consider changing before winter. Front ones have more depth. For now, just rotate front and back.

I got front/back exchanged and drove 300 miles and back for father's day with no hitch. Thinking of taking the Walmart guy's advice before winter.

I wish I kew a few "family owned" tire stores in Chicago area, it would be fun to comparetheir advice with the national chains.

: Today, as I drove my 98 Camry, I discovered it had a flat tire. By then : I was in very busy traffic. I do not know if it was already flat when I : parked it yesterday, obviously I hadn't noticed. Today, I probably : drove around 4 city blocks before finding a safe parking spot. It was : rather late, so I decided to deal with it tomorrow. : : Tomorrow I will face the problem of deciding if I should repair the : tire (if it is repairable) or change it. If I change, should I change : one or two? I am driving 300 miles this weekend for Father's Day, so I : need to make a wise choice. : : BTW the tires are Goodyear Regata, 205/65/15. Though in good shape, : they are probably a few years old (bought it used) and exact match may : not be available.

Reply to
Ajanta

:

The Accu-Gage® S... Series Tire Gauges for $10 works great.Thanks. I am beginning to suspect that I don't check air pressure asoften as I should because my cheapo pencil gauge is such a pain to use.Is dial gauge better than digital?

Reply to
Ajanta

Digital gauges need batteries, dial gauges do not. I'd go with a dial gauge.

Reply to
Ray O