Flat tire: repair or replace (one or two)?

I used to buy my tires at Sears, they had some decent prices when you could catch a sale. The problem is that you have to be very careful as they did everything they could to upsell, or sell other things you didn't need, or even to outright lie (well, maybe they were just stupid).

About 15 years ago, I pulled into Sears to have two tires on the front replaced. The woman came out to the car and "Ooooed and Ahhed" and insisted that I needed new rear tires also because they were so badly worn.

I reached into the glove compartment and showed her the receipt for those "badly worn" rear tires, which I had purchased at Sears a few months earlier.

I said "go ahead and replace them," but since they were nearly new, I told her that I expected them to be replaced free. They didn't replace them and I never heard a word about it after that. LOL>

That's when I gave up on Sears and started hitting the local place. Ivan has even lent me for free a compressor on two different occassions. If my wife has a flat, she calls them up and they come out and rescue her. No extra charge.

Prices are actually a few dollars cheaper than the chains for comparable tires (note I say comparable, not "same"). They primarily sell Delta tires, Coopers and Yokohamas and Kellys

Reply to
timbirr

: I stopped at three different places and got the following opinions : on my tires: : : Sears: Sidewalls look damaged. Could blow. Change soon. : : Pep Boys: Tires are fine. Good for another 1-2 years. : : Walmart: Tires are fine but tread down to 5-7 range (he actually : measured it). Could go 1-2 years but I'd consider changing before : winter. Front ones have more depth. For now, just rotate front and : back.

Since then I have stopped at three local tire dealers. Two dismissed any concern I showed and said the tires are in good shape for now.

The third one said: Tires are ruined and it is because of bad struts. You need new tires and new struts at the same time, $1200.

Reply to
Ajanta

Send me an e-mail and let me know the general area where you live and work. If you are near the northwest suburbs - Elk Grove Village, Mt. Prospect, Schaumburg, etc., I'd be happy to take a look.

Reply to
Ray O

: Send me an e-mail and let me know the general area where you live and work. : If you are near the northwest suburbs - Elk Grove Village, Mt. Prospect, : Schaumburg, etc., I'd be happy to take a look.

Hi Ray. This is Ajanta but posting from a family member's account. Thanks for the offer, but we are in Hyde Park, far from NW burbs. If I come that way, I would contact you. Are you in auto business?

Reply to
Newbie

Hyde Park is a bit of a trip from Schaumburg/Hoffman Est.

I am no longer in the auto business although I maintain a strong interest in cars and still do most of the work on our vehicles myself.

Reply to
Ray O

: Hyde Park is a bit of a trip from Schaumburg/Hoffman Est.

Yes I ralize that. Once in a while we go to Mitsuwa, Ikea etc. If I have enough notice I would send you email to ask if I could drop by for a few minutes. Otherwise thanks for your offer anyway and I hope you'd continue to offer guidence via these groups. : : I am no longer in the auto business although I maintain a strong : interest in cars and still do most of the work on our vehicles myself.

I suppose there is no point asking you about good service garages, mechanics, etc., in Chicagoland for routine maintenance? :-)

Ajanta (temporarily posting from a family member's account)

Reply to
Newbie

I work about 5 minutes away from Mitsuwa and live about 10-15 minutes away from Ikea.

I know some good service facilities but none are convenient to Hyde Park. Sorry I couldn't help you there.

Hope to see you soon!

Reply to
Ray O

: I know some good service facilities but none are convenient to Hyde Park. : Sorry I couldn't help you there.

Needn't be in or near Hyde Park, actually I think there's nothing around here.

Except true emergiees, when I have to take what I can get, and oil changes, which seem to be pretty standardized all over the place, I don't mind driving 10-20 miles for sufficiently good service/value for major work.

I go to Devon Avenue (6400 N) once a week, so anywhere northside is always on the way.

Reply to
Newbie

I grew up at the corner of Rosemont (6300 N) and Greenview (1500 W). Before people realized that it is not safe to let your kids roam the neighborhoods, we would ride our bikes to HobbyTown at the NE corner of Devon and Western (I think an electronics store is there now) and see movies at the Nortown Theater.

By dad used to work at Brown's Rambler, which used to be on Western Ave. just north of Devon.

My experience with local service places is pretty limited since I moved back to Chicago in 1993. The only places I am familiar with are the Bredemann dealerships in Park Ridge and Glenview; Schaumburg Toyota, and Higgins Marathon in Hoffman Estates. All do excellent work.

Reply to
Ray O

I'm with you here Bungalow. Replace it but always try to get the same tread pattern or a close match if poss. If you aint driving a performance car near its limits theres gonna be no harm done.

Coyoteboy