Flywheel resurfacing

I've decided that after my clutch disintegrated (burst friction plate!)

i should check out theflywheel. Now im not sure whether I should get mine resurfaced, but anew (aftermarket as I cant afford Toyota prices) or get a usedaftermarket one. Mines smooth as a babies bum but looks burnt and hasa slight amount of wear increasing towards the inner diameter of thefriction surface - im wondering if thats why the friction materialfailed. Its $150 for flywheel resurfacing (damn stepped flywheel),$200 for a used aftermarket fly or 350 for a new aftermarket. What are peoples thoughts.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I noticed some blue coloring on the cover in your other pictures. If the flywheel has the same coloring, you can get some uneven wear. I would go for a resurfacing of the old flywheel.

Reply to
Ray O

Have your flywheel resurfaced, it definitely needs it. $150 sounds kind of high. It is not a stepped flywheel from what I could see in the picture. A stepped flywheel would be stepped on the top surface, yours looks flat from the picture.

Reply to
Mike

Probably just the angle - theres a 1-1.5mm step :( I've cast around a bit and I have managed to get a mate to offer to buy and send me stuff from the US so it might bring the prices a little closer.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

If it's only 1-1.5 mm step then it may just be wear from the clutch disk. All the stepped flywheels I have seen have more like a 15 mm step, something that is easy to see.

Reply to
Mike

Nope, its an upward step, not downward. Also I've just been told by someone that you cannot reface the standard fly - not entirely sure thats true though.

Reply to
Coyoteboy