Fog Lights Wiring

I have a 2003 Camry that did not bring installed fog lights, but there are empty sockets to plug in lights at location where fog ligts would be installed in the front bumper. Is the 2003 Camry prewired for fog lights? If I install my own fog lights do I just "plug in" new lights into the empty sockets and add a fuse for that location? Do I also have to add a switch and relay? Is there a site for more specific instructions? Thanks!

Reply to
Lendav

Hmmm, several people, including me, already posted responses.

Here is my previous post:

I do not know if the 2003 Camry is prewired for fog lights, but I suspect that the harnesses are the same with and without fog lights. To add fog lights, you would have to add the lights, a relay, and change the combination switch on the steering column, which probably involves de-energizing the air bag and removing the steering wheel.

I doubt if there is a site with specific instructions showing the differences in cars with and without fog lights unless you are adept at reading wiring diagrams.

A more cost-effective approach to adding fog lights may be to add an quality aftermarket kit.

According to Hachiroku, Toyota dealers do offer a fog light kit, but a quality aftermarket kit is probably less expensive, and I agree.

Reply to
Ray O

IIRC, the fog lights for my Scion were $535 (that number sticks in my head, I can't remember if it was for the Scion or a Matrix or a Highlander...) at the dealer I was working at in 2005. Of course with the Scion you get the grille with the openings, etc.

The Scionlife web site said that there was wiring for the headlights behind the bumper. I sure couldn't find it! I had to wire my own. And, there was no 'blank' behind the dash for wiring a switch, either.

Now, back in the 80's, Toyota used to make one harness for each model car, with the wiring and the connectors, etc. I noticed a difference first on my '95 Tercel. Up to that time, all my Toyotas, either Manual or Automatic had a hole punched in the firewall for the clutch cylinder. The Tercel did not, the there was no 'extra' wiring behind the dash.

Now, for my $535 as I mentioned you got the grille and the mounts, and the lights. Not sure about wiring or the switch.

I saw a tC with factory lighting yesterday. I'll have to post a pic of the Factory kit, and how I did mine. A sharp eye can tell the difference if they aren't parked right next to each other.

But cutting that grille was preceded by a LOT of trepidation!!!

Oh, and mine cost $35 and a couple afternoons (Yeah..a LOT of trepidation!). But, I LIKE doing that kind of stuff!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I have done this (without buying a combo sw).

check bumper for wires get EWD info from

foglights buy relay buy switch mount lights mount switch plug in relay find someone to connect the correct wires

Reply to
Nulket