Follow up: 93 Camry fuel consumption

A while back, you may remember that I was trying to find the cause of the poor fuel consumption of my 1993 Camry. A few days before going on a trip, I had the air cleaner changed (AC Delco) and an alignment was done at a very reputable shop in town (Moncton NB Canada). The mechanic said my front wheels were toed in 1/2 an inch each and one rear, a 1/4 inch out. My previous alignement was done at Canadian Tire. I had promised myself prior to that visit that I would never take my car there again. I now have learned my lesson. Anyhoo, on my return trip, I kept my speed at 110 km-h most of the time, approx 70 mph, with the A/C off all the time. I did 732 kms and I put 50 liters in the tank, which means 6.8L/100kms or, in the US language, 34.58 US MPG or 41.54 in Imp. MPG. For a car with 285,000 Kms (178,000 m), and I had my wife and daughter plus luggage in the car, I find this to be more than just pretty good. With gas at $1.00/ liter or about 4 $US for 1.06 gallon, monitoring my "gas mileage" is becoming more and more important. Are there older Camry's out there doing as good or better than this? I use Valvoline synthetic oil in the engine. Synthetic will be going in the tranny too at the next service. JP

Reply to
Bassplayer12

Man, I'd say that mileage for a fully loaded Camry with that kind of mileage is pretty dammed good! If it's an AT, it's even better!

Reply to
hachiroku

"" wrote: > On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 01:20:41 +0000, Bassplayer12 wrote: > > > A while back, you may remember that I was trying to find the > cause of the > > poor fuel consumption of my 1993 Camry. A few days before > going on a trip, > > I had the air cleaner changed (AC Delco) and an alignment > was done at a > > very reputable shop in town (Moncton NB Canada). > > The mechanic said my front wheels were toed in 1/2 an inch > each and one > > rear, a 1/4 inch out. My previous alignement was done at > Canadian Tire. I > > had promised myself prior to that visit that I would never > take my car > > there again. I now have learned my lesson. > > Anyhoo, on my return trip, I kept my speed at 110 km-h most > of the time, > > approx 70 mph, with the A/C off all the time. I did 732 kms > and I put 50 > > liters in the tank, which means 6.8L/100kms or, in the US > language, 34.58 > > US MPG or 41.54 in Imp. MPG. For a car with 285,000 Kms > (178,000 m), and I > > had my wife and daughter plus luggage in the car, I find > this to be more > > than just pretty good. > > With gas at $1.00/ liter or about 4 $US for 1.06 gallon, > monitoring my > > "gas mileage" is becoming more and more important. Are there > older Camry's > > out there doing as good or better than this? I use Valvoline > synthetic oil > > in the engine. Synthetic will be going in the tranny too at > the next > > service. > > JP > > > Man, I'd say that mileage for a fully loaded Camry with that > kind of > mileage is pretty dammed good! If it's an AT, it's even > better!

My 91 camary up to the day it was wrecked was getting 38 to 40 MPG on the hiway at 65 to 70 MPH with 220k miles on it (4cyl with a 5speed) Several years ago on a trip across wyoming in the high plains in thin air it got 41.5 mpg runing 70 to 75 with A/C on and fully loaded. I sure do miss that car.

Reply to
SnoMan

snip

Is it CAN or US MPG ?