For Women Car Buyers

I have a message for car buyers, particularly women. Even at the most upstanding dealerships, car salesmen can be full of tricks. Be prepared with pricing information that's so readily available on the web. Also learn from women like myself who got the full dealership treatment. I was pressured to buy...and I bought. This didn't happen in a moment or two, but was a process. I can't return the car, but I can describe what I experienced so other car buyers will be better in the know.

My blog, Inside a Toyota Certified Used Car Deal, details the ins and outs of a car deal as it unfolds (and afterwards). Go to:

realcardeal.blogspot.com

Hope you do it differently than I did.

Reply to
LJ

You have a lot of nerve posting that garbage in this NG. Toyota dealers do NOT discriminate against woman. I'll bet you were treated the same as every other potential buyer at that dealership ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I just skimmed over the article, but I'll give you my 2 cents worth as an NU alumni and someone who used to train dealership sales people and sale managers. Please do not be insulted, but you are the dream customer that every salesperson dreams of - a highly educated buyer (since higher education tends to lead to more income), who has done little or no research before shopping and is more emotional than rational. As far as I could tell, your treatment was no different than a male buyer with the same attributes would have received, and the process does not differ greatly from brand to brand.

First of all, the dealership is not "Toyota." They merely have the exclusive right to sell new Toyotas, repair them under warranty, and use the name "Toyota" in their dealership name and advertising.

Always be prepared to shop at multiple dealerships to get the best deal and service.

Put emotion aside. Count on paying top dollar for an emotional purchase.

If you were smart enough to graduate from NU, you're smart enough to know not to sign a contract with blanks that are not filled in or to sign anything that you have not read. You're also smart enough to know that you are not under arrest and could have left at any time, do comparison shopping, discuss the transaction with your husband or someone you know and trust. You are smart enough to know that you can think straighter if you are fresh and not tired. For whatever reason, you cast aside common sense, like those people who meet in a bar in Vegas and get married that same night.

If you want to trade a vehicle, always have some idea of what it is worth beforehand. Research newspapers, Kelley Blue Book, Edmunds, etc. Know what is wrong with the vehicle you are trading in beforehand so you won't be surprised when the dealership people find it. Know what the vehicle you want to buy is worth beforehand as well. Set a maximum amount you're willing to spend.

The "Certified" part does add close to $1000 to the dealer's cost for the vehicle.

If it makes you feel any better, many of your husband's explanations after the fact were incorrect. Bill did not get most of the commission - he got a token amount, if any. The salespeople at the desk with the sales manager were not shooting the breeze, and the salespeople do not know what every vehicle on the lot is worth because they were not in on every transaction. Even the sales manager has to look up the vehicle in question to see how much he has invested and what it is worth.

For some reason, many people seem to assume that car dealerships are not-for-profit institutions; that they deserve the deal of the century; and that they are smarter than the people at the dealership. For the record, dealerships are in business to make a profit, and like any business, they try to maximize their profit. As far as getting a "great deal" on a used car at a dealership, IMO, anything less than Kelley Blue Book average retail is a good deal. Dealerships know what their merchandise is worth. Nobody, including me (15 years in the car business) will pull one over on the car dealer and get the deal of the century. Be happy with a fair deal that allows the dealer a reasonable profit.

Reply to
Ray O

What the OP said?

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote in news:e13e6$435d4610$44a4a10d$ snipped-for-privacy@msgid.meganewsservers.com:

Bingo.

That's the ONE weapon anyone has against the delaership: The willingness to walk out. It's the one and only thing they can't fight or twist around. It takes balls to be able to do that under the salesman's pressure, but you MUST do it if you're not getting your deal. And if they let you walk, well, your deal wasn't realistic.

Probably the biggest single mistake anyone can make. Salesmen are there all day, every day, and you're walking in maybe once in five years. They've seen and heard it all, and you've got to go in there assuming that you cannot--and will not--say something they haven't heard before.

Or set a budget, find the best car that best fits that budget, then stick to that budget. Let the dealership figure out if they're making a profit on the deal.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

No, you. Very succinct and to the point. The OP laid right over and started pointing fingers when she came to and realized what she did. Lee Iacocca would have gotten ripped off too if he walked into a dealership all emotional with zippy research. It's not like its '83, you know? I just typed in 'used car buying tips' into Google and got

43,600,000 hits. The info is out there and it's easy to get. Don't wave the gender flag. You screwed up.
Reply to
qslim

Thanks.

My wife chides me of putting aside emotion and only considering facts when making a decision or considering something. At the risk of sounding like Mr. Spock, following emotions is rarely a good idea when making any kind of decision.

Reply to
Ray O

True, true. When I was little my dad told me 'emotions change, facts usually don't".

Reply to
qslim

I'd say marriage is probably the only time emotion should guide your decision...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

A typically female response.

We know from history that marriage is designed to give women legal power over men in order to 'civilize' men for the sake of raising children and for the sake of society at large.

We also know from history that marriage is a CONTRACT agreement ... that requires The State and a lawyer to make and break.

Men have a strong sense these things are true which is why we are commitment phobic.

Reply to
Philip

"Wickeddoll®" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.evilcabal.org:

Yuck. Us neither.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

No doubt THAT has no bearing on the 50% divorce rate. I say that a LOT less emotion and a LOT more attention to reality should be called into play when chosing a partner FOR LIFE.

Reply to
Sharx35

You've never done the Mrs. doggie style?

Reply to
Sharx35

"Sharx35" wrote in news:jki7f.57494$ir4.10218@edtnps90:

Mrs. Doggie has two doors you know. Enter and Exit.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

You also shouldn't let emotion cloud your judgment when choosing a hooker. Consider all the facts before ruling her out as a cop...

Reply to
qslim

Or she's a man...

Reply to
B a r r y

"Sharx35"

Fair enough, but too many just rush into it for kicks. I waited a long time before becoming 'serious'

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Sharx35" ...

That's not what we mean and you know it...

...and Tegger? Don't answer that

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®