Fork clutch spring keeps coming off....??

I replaced the clutch in my 1997 4runner 4 cylinder engine. The problem is that the fork clutch spring (spring that attaches to the throw out bearing) keeps coming off. The clip is a U-shaped wire clip. This spring seems secure, but when install the transmission it comes off at the slightest touch. I noticed in the Chilton's manual that there is another flat spring that they show. This really annoying I have had to remove the transmission twice because of this issue. I can't believe the auto industry has not come up with a better way. I am almost tempted to install some small bolts.

Reply to
hizark21

I have never heard of the problem you are describing, so I suspect that the auto industry has already come up with a better way ;-)

Perhaps you can post a link to a picture of the linkage in question or a better description of what is happening. Does the clip come completely off of the throwout bearing or does it disconnect from one or both of the fork tips and hang there? Is there a long wire spring inside the fork that hooks to the ends of the U-clip to hold the U-clip in place?

IIRC, you are supposed to install the throwout bearing to the fork and then place them together in the bell housing. If you actuator cylinder is off the housing, you should be able to move the fork "handle" fore and aft to see if the springs and clips stay in place before you re-install the transmission.

Reply to
Ray O

The clip comes off the tips of the fork. Yes there is a long spring, but is used to attach the fork to the pivot bolt. The spring does not connect to the U-clip. The spring stays on fore and aft, but it seems to keep coming loose for some reason.

Reply to
hizark21

Apply grease to the tips of the fork where it contacts the throwout bearing, at the pivot point, and where the push rod contacts the "handle" of the fork.

It would be helpful to know when the ends of the clip actually pop off so that the cause might be more obvious. I don't know if it is possible to install the fork backwards, but the hollow side of the fork should be facing away from the clutch and towards the transmission body. That way, the force of the movement of the fork when the clutch is disengaged should tend to seat the ends of the spring clip more firmly on the tips of the fork. When the clutch is engaged, the movement of the throwout bearing should tend to push the U-body of the clip more firmly against the tips of the fork.

Assuming that the fork is not installed backwards and the ends of the spring clip are properly attached to the ends of the fork, I'm out of ideas without actually seeing the setup.

Reply to
Ray O

Yes the hollow side is facing the transmission. I also applied grease as you described.

If I could locate the flat U-spr> >

Reply to
hizark21

By any chance, did you replace the throwout bearing? If so, does the U-clip fit differently around the replacement bearing than from the original bearing? I'm wondering if a replacement bearing needs a different kind of clip.

Ray O (correct punctuation to reply)

Reply to
Ray O

temporarily tie the fork to its pivot with small cable ties, they can stay there, once the tranny is installed the fork will not come off the pivot in any case.

Reply to
mrcheerful