Fuel Filter fun

Yesterday, when I said something odd is going on, I was not referring to the Top Tier list.

The list at TopTierGas.com is valid, despite Tegger's initial claim yesterday to the contrary.

What is odd is the corporate decision-making that allows customers of Sunoco stations in Canada to buy Top Tier gasoline, but customers of Sunoco stations in the U.S. do not get the Top Tier-designated gasoline.

Reply to
Built_Well

I wouldn't put the same gasoline in my car for that long of time. You, yourself, mentioned the legal problems one retailer had with its gasoline not too long ago.

It's probably best to exclusively use one company's gasoline for 2,000 to 5,000 miles, then switch to another company's gas for the next

2,000 to 5,000 miles.

But when you switch, always be sure the company is on the Top Tier list of merchants. Remember some 60 percent of gasoline sold in the U.S. is not Top Tier-designated. Whether some of that 60 percent still meets Top Tier standards or not is up for debate, but why take the chance?

Always use merchants on the list at TopTierGas.com.

Reply to
Built_Well

Will I feel any difference in my cars performance if I use Top Tier brands? If I buy from Top Tier stations, is it a guarantee that I need not change my fuel filter for the lifetime of the car?

I wonder how many fuel filters are on those gas guzzling Hummers? They consume more fuel, so they need bigger filters and change frequently...

Reply to
EdV

You may, if your fuel injectors remain substantially cleaner over the years.

Of course not.

Reply to
Built_Well

Ed, those are two very interesting paragraphs you provided us. Would you happen to have a link to Marty Barris's SAE paper? The paper costs $14 at SAE.org :-(

I guess I'm hoping you found the quotes from the paper at the "Bob Is The Oil Guy" web site? But the search function at Bob's is horrible, and I'm not finding this paper easily there.

Reply to
Built_Well

My tank had rusted out, and I'm sure a lot of that rust is now occupying the fuel filter.

Now, this car has 200,000+ miles on it, and I don't know if the filter has been changed or not. I'm willing to bet changing the filter will increase top-end performance...

But it looks like I'll have to cut the filter out of the system to get it out. When we replaced the tank, we couldn't budge the fittings on the filter...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I would go with fuel pressure instead, but this won't tell you if it's the pump or the filter...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hummm....I get the distinct impression that Built_Well has a financial interest in TopTierGas.com.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Does anyone use a fuel system cleaner like STP Injector Cleaner or Techtron Fuel System Cleaner to help keep the fuel injectors clean?

If so, how often do you use it: every 3 months, 12 months?

Would a product like this even be needed if you stick with Top Tier gasoline?

And would a product like this be a good idea for a 2006 Camry driven only 5 thousand miles a year?

Finally, would you happen to know if Toyota has a policy recommending or discouraging the use of these kinds of products?

Reply to
Built_Well

Techron or Techroline is the best

Every 5000 or so miles should be plenty. Do it the tank before an oil change.

It will still help. The effectiveness is dose dependent. They don't put a whole lot in the gas but it's enough for the typical car. Using a can of techroline once or twice a year is cheap for the extra cleaning it provides.

It won't hurt anything but most likely it's not needed on that new a car if you are buying a decent gas. When you have 25K on it would be a reasonable time to start using it.

All the car makers recommend against using anything they don't sell.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Built_Well wrote in article ...

Considering the amount of alcohol in today's pump gas, I see no need to add any other cleaning solvents.

Reply to
*

"*" wrote in news:01c8034a$493a9b60$e290c3d8@race:

it doesn`t work that way. the alcohol will not disolve the gunk that accumulates on the end of the injector. almost all fi cars can use a good injector cleaner a couple of times a year. It works best if done on a long trip or drive the longer it is running at speed the better the cleaner will work. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Do you have independent evidence that fuel injector cleaning improves the performance or longevity of the injectors? I mean from actual studies done by people other that the people selling the stuff?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Built_Well wrote in news:46fdace1$0$29948$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

More questions:

If this Top Tier thing is really that important and indispensible, then why, after three years, are there only six auto companies involved (up from four in 2004)?

What about: Mercedes Ford Nissan Chrysler Porsche Hyundai (did I miss any?)

These collectively cover a giant chunk of the market.

Why are they not on the bandwagon? Don't they care if their engines are fouled by inadequate gas? Don't they also have federally-mandated emissions warranties to which they are beholden?

And why do neither participants Toyota and Honda mention Top Tier gas so much as once in ANY of their latest Owner's Manuals? Why did it take

3 years before GM started to do so?

And why was GM's Andrew Burczynsky so "quick to point out" that non-use of Top Tier won't void your warranty?

Questions, questions...

Reply to
Tegger

Will those fuel injection cleaners dissolve the impurities trapped on my fuel filter.

Reply to
EdV

Varnish yes, solids no.

nate

EdV wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

========

Tegger, you're welcome to use any kind of fuel you like. The companies on the Top Tier bandwagon are biggies:

GM (biggest car company in the world)

Toyota (second biggest car company in world)

BMW

Honda

Volkswagon

Audi

Of America's "Big 3" oil companies, two (ConocoPhillips and Chevron) belong to Top Tier.

As auto journalist Bill Visnic wrote, "GM is recommending Top Tier gasoline in every vehicle Owner?s Manual for the ?07 model year, the first time GM has promoted Top Tier in such a way."

Top Tier is new, and will only catch on. But you go ahead and use any kind of gasoline you like. We're not the gas police here :-)

Reply to
Built_Well

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

the main purpose to injector cleaners is to remove the residue that builds up on the tip of the injector pintel from the evaporating of the small bit of fuel there on each cycle, over time it builds up and interferes with the spray pattern. the cleaner removes this to allow the spray pattern to return to optiom. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Built_Well wrote in news:470027ed$0$26455 $ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com:

I think you forget: I came into this thread SUPPORTING Top Tier. See my mesaage of Sept 28th.

Reply to
Tegger

I'm not saying taht's not true for some of the cleaners but for Techroline it works best with multiple short trips (fully warmed up) rather then one long one. The reason is because that lets is soak in the deposits to soften them up. This if based on literature from Chevron that I read years ago.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher