Fuel Gauge/Temerature Gauge On '95 Tercel Standing Straight UP

The Temperature gauge and the Fuel gauge on my '95 Tercel are standing straight up as far as they can possibly deflect. Does this no matter what the actual readings are. Occasionally (usually after the car has been running for a while) the gauges will drop down to show accurate readings, but will soon deflect back up to the full-deflection indications. No work has been done to the car, and no electrical work either. It happened after I stopped to get gas. Never did it before that. Any ideas?

Reply to
Hawkwind

There is a voltage regulator on the back of the instrument cluster that may be bad.

Reply to
Ray O

Hi and thanks for your reply. Is there any way to verify this?

Reply to
Hawkwind

It has been a long time since I've actually had to deal with a problem like yours so I'd have to take a look at a wiring diagram to give you a more detailed answer. I looked at a '93 Previa wiring diagram and there are some diodes that could be bad as well as what is called a valve check relay. You'll need a wiring diagram to properly diagnose the problem.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O