Fuel line question

1995 Toyota Tercel 4DR

So i tried to change to fuel filter on the car today for the 1st time (have only had it for a few months. Now the top bolt on the fuel filter came off rather easy. I put the crows foot on the bottom nut and it came out about 3/4 of the way then budged, so i gave it a little elbow grease. It completely stripped the nut and rounded the corners. So I that point I get a friend over and he grips the nut with vise grips and i basically turn the fuel filter as hard as i can...still no budge. Ive tried wd-40 and liquid wrench...neither of which have worked at all.

My question is that would it be possible for me to cut the fuel line (metal) about 10 inches below the filter so that i could then let that portion of the hose whith the filter still connect dry, then cut off the stuck nut with my dremel, replace the nut and then connect the fuel line with a really tight piece of gass approved rubber hose with tight fitting crimps?

If that wouldnt be possible is there anywhere on the fuel line ( i cant see very far down into engine) where it does turn into a rubber line so i can disconnect it there and take that portion of the line out of the car and cut the nut off?

If neither of those option are available, does anyone have any suggestions on what i could possibly do to fix the remedy myself? and if not 'roundabout how much would it cost for someone to go ahead and possibly do this professionally.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

wesleyg

Reply to
metaldrivensoul

Next time a bolt or nut is stuck, spray it with penetrating fluid, tap the part lightly, and run the nut or bolt back down, spray some more, tap some more, and wait a day or two before trying it again.

If your car is fuel injected, then I doubt if you will find a rubber section of the fuel line, and it is not a good idea to use rubber to try to splice the line because a fuel injected vehicle has higher fuel pressure. In general, it is not a good idea to add splices to a fuel line or a brake line because of the added risk of leaks. I'm pretty sure that the connection to the fuel filter is a flared one and if so, you should be using a flare nut wrench on the fitting.

If there is not enough slack in the fuel line to cut off the connection and re-flare it, the correct repair would be to replace the entire section of fuel line, using a flare tool on the ends if you do not use an OEM line.

Reply to
Ray O

Is it bottoming out on something? Try applying penetrating fluid or better yet anti-seize compound on the exposed threads then running the fitting back in and out again.

As Ray-o states the tube is flared nut system. You can cut off the old fitting, get another nut and reflare the tube. A rental place may have them or any tool house. Make sure you get one for automotive work; usually they have a 45-degree flare. The other flare is 37 degrees.

If you need more room to work, might drop out the full line out from the car. If the fitting still cannot be removed, cut it off right next to the filter. You want to leave male fitting alone for now. Then slice open the remaining female fitting carefully. Hopefully the male end fitting can then unscrewed.

They do make high-pressure EFI fuel hose; you can splice something together or pull a line off a junk car. Before you reassemble the line, apply some oil, or anti-seize compound the threads.

Reply to
toyomoho