FYI on Synthetic Oil

Ever since I bought my 2004 Sienna, I have been considering using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. The main reason I did not do so, was because of Toyota's written statement saying "It is OK to use Synthetic oil, but if you do, you should not switch back to conventional oil". They refused to tell me why. I just noticed a few days ago, this statement disappeared from their Customer Care website. I wrote to them again asking if their position on this had changed. This was their latest answer:

"Toyota has not found there to be an issue with switching back from synthetic oil to conventional oil so long as you are consistent with the maintenance intervals as described in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide. Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200707090676. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us".

I stayed away from Synthetics because I was not sure if there was some technical reason why going back to conventional oil, if I chose to do so, might cause a problem in the engine. This statement seems to clear the air on that one. Charles Ranheim

Reply to
cranheim

Apparently, they were gathering information to determine if there would be an issue. Apparently, there is none.

So you're safe to try synthetic oil.

fJef

Reply to
Jeff

For many years auto makers have been leery about using synthetics. They have lagged the trucking industry, where you get longer warrantees for using synthetics. There is absolutely nothing to prevent you from switching back and forth between synthetic oils and regular oils. Toyota is simply a slow learner and paranoid.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Reputable oil makers, like Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, and Pennzoil, have FAQs about at their websites about using synthetics in cars. I saw a very old one from Mobil that warned against using synthetic during the first 10,000 miles or in Mazda rotary engines or Subarus. I don't know about newer rotary engines, but I believe that the other restrictions were lifted long ago.

OTOH I wouldn't trust Amsoil for information because they claim that their oil improves fuel economy. But when I asked Mobil if their synthetic did the same, they emphatically said, "Not one bit."

I finally tried synthetic, not because it was better but because it was offered by Pennzoil and Pep Boys for 6 cents a quart, after rebates. I bought some more a few months ago because it was the cheapest oil available, 99 cents a quart, after rebate.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

You think thats the reason? I am willing to bet it has alot more to do with preventing law suits and such.

Reply to
Go Mavz

Actually, all of today's oils are energy saving, compared with the oils of say the 70s and 80s. Mobil1 does claim better engine efficiency

I suspect that you would save 0.5% at most in fuel. That comes to a 0.15 mph increase in fuel economy in my car.

How did it work?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

There were two reasons why I was thinking about going with Mobil 1. The first reason was that the engines used in the Sienna had a tendency to develop sludge. While I feel this problem has been corrected, using synthetic oil would greatly reduce this possibility. The second reason is my oil change frequency. I drive about 10,000 miles a year, and change oil three times. With Mobil 1, I will feel safe in going to two changes, which is only 5,000 miles between changes. Charles Ranheim.

Reply to
cranheim

myoilchange frequency. I drive about 10,000 miles a year, and changeoil

I hear you~! My dealer here in Ontario recomends 5000 mile (8000k) oil changes using Mobil 1 grey cap(5W30)...`02 Camry-4 auto.

In the winter I use Mobil 1 yellow cap , the extended service oil(15,000 miles)It costs a little more than grey cap, but I think its worth it for winter driving.

However I change 2-3 times a year depending on mileage and type of service .

My driving is about 60 % city (severe service )and 40% highway (normal)

When you get right down to the nitty-gritty ? oil is the cheapest maintenance you can do.

I also use 15w50 in my bike, Mobil 1 mred

Reply to
mred

I haven't heard any knocking on start-up, and the engine hasn't smoked or blown up yet. :)

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Ya know, I had to add some oil to my Mazda (conventional oil at last change) and all I had was a couple quarts of Syntec I use in the Scion.

Later I got to thinking: if they aren't 'interchangeable', then why are there synthetic blends on the market?

Reply to
Hachiroku

The generally accepted rules on synthetic oils are as follows:

  1. Never mix synthetics. Different brands can use incompatible bases. (paraffin vs. PAO)
  2. It's always okay to go from synthetics to conventional. (see number 4)
  3. It's okay to mix synthetics and conventional if you have to. (see number 1) Try not to mix different conventionals.
  4. You can go from conventional to synthetics, but the more mileage you have on your car, the greater the risk of developing synthetic "leaks". This is due to synthetics having an easier time of "finding" defects in seals, and is not the fault of your synthetic.

YMMV. I didn't write 'em, I'm just passing along conventional (no pun) wisdom. If you disagree, I'd like to know the reasons as these rules go back ten years or so. I was a victim of number 4 with the only Ford I've ever owned. It took about six months back on conventional for the leaks to stop. Caveat emptor.

Reply to
witfal

I always use Castrol. Nothing else. So when I add Syntec to a conventional oil, I'm adding Castrol to Castrol.

Hopefully they made their Conventional compatible with their own synthetic!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Any modern synthetic is completely compatible with any other brand of conventional. Just don't mix brands. That's it, so you're fine.

Reply to
witfal

I'd like to be able to answer that, but I've never used it. Logically it would be the same, but I'd need to read more about it.

Reply to
witfal

please tell me WHY we cannot mix brands of oil?

We mix brands of gasoline with different additives or so I`m told ?,With no apparent harm to any gasoline driven engine, so why not oils ? just curious

Reply to
mred

Different synthetic oils use different types of molecules for the oil bases. So it is not a good idea ot mix them.

Reply to
Jeff

mred opin'd thus:

No one can tell you why; it's just "generally accepted", that's all.

(Another way of saying it's a myth.)

Modern oils, if they have the SAE seal, are all miscible.

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

You can mix synthetics with any brand of conventional. You cannot mix different brands of synthetics as you don't know if they're paraffin or PAO- based. I'm no chemist, but apparently bad things happen.

You probably can mix different brands of conventional, but to be cautious should not. All oils have an additive package. Some may or may not be compatible with others.

That's it, in a nutshell. As I said earlier, YMMV. I didn't write the stuff, just did a lot of reading.

Reply to
witfal

They may all be miscible, but they're not mixable. PAO and paraffin-based synthetics are not compatible.

Live with it.

Reply to
witfal