Gas mileage explained ???

I just saw an ad that the new Toyota corolla will get around 34 mgp, but Ford is advertising that the new Ford Focus gets 50mpg. Clearly the numbers don't match up. I was reading Consumer reports says that the focus gets 32 mpg.

Reply to
car crash

The 50 mpg is for the Focus with a 1 liter engine which isn't available in the USA.

-- Ron

Reply to
Ron Peterson

That 50 MPG for the Focus with the 1 liter engine is probably as it is coasting downhill. Considering the size of the vehicle a 1 liter engine would struggle in getting the thing moving and all the acceleration would easily cause more fuel to be burned than its rating. I would be suspicious of such a claim.

Reply to
badgolferman

Actually, the smallest engine for UK version of the Focus is 1.4 litres

Jeff

If I had a few million bucks to spread around on spec, I would arrange to get the US franchise for Citroen cars. I rented a Citroen C-3 in Ireland five years ago, found it fun to drive and larger on the interior than the overall size might indicate, and I was regularly getting over 40 mpg on the road. If it were available in the US, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I realize that French cars have usually gone over like lead balloons in the US, dating back to the unfortunate Renault Dauphine, but this little car will melt your heart (and keep some gas money in your pocket.

Reply to
mack

I neglected to mention that was also with a body weight reduciton of

1,000 lbs.

-- Ron

Reply to
Ron Peterson