gas pedal sticking

My 1997 Camry's gas pedal is sticking a bit upon first pressing it. When getting past the initial resistance it works normally. I sprayed a bit of silicone into the tube where the cable comes out near the throttle body and think that has relieved it a bit but am unsure whether there is somewhere else to check.

Reply to
badgolferman

I had this exact problem on my '97 I4 Camry. You need to clean the throttle plate and throttle body walls using a O2 & CAT safe throttle body cleaner. While your there you should also clean the IAC motor valve by squirting the cleaner into the curved rectangular opening at the mouth of the throttle body.

Marv>My 1997 Camry's gas pedal is sticking a bit upon first pressing it.

Reply to
MarvinShos via CarKB.com

Get some aerosol carburetor cleaner or throttle body cleaner that is O2 sensor and catalytic converter-safe (I think pretty much all of it is now), some rags or paper towels, a 10 mm socket and ratchet, and that silicone lube.

Follow the large diameter black rubber hose from the air cleaner housing to the throttle body, which is the cast aluminum housing near the engine.

With the engine off, use the 10 mm socket and ratchet to loosen the hose clamp that holds the hose to the throttle body and remove the hose.

After the hose is out of the way, you will see the throttle plate - it looks like the butterfly valve on a carburetor. Pull on the bell crank that the throttle cable is attached to open the throttle plate. The edge of the plate, back side, and inside of the throttle body are probably gummed up and will appear brown or black. The gum on the edge of the plate sticks to the inner circumference of the throttle body, making the gas pedal hard to depress.

Spray the back side of the throttle plate and use the rag or paper towel to wipe it clean, paying attention to the edges and where the rod that the plate pivots on passes through the throttle body. Also spray and wipe as much of the inside of the throttle body as you can reach. The cleaner is highly flammable, so you don't want to be smoking or have any sources of heat or flame nearby. Wipe as much of the cleaner out as you can.

Spray a little silicone lube on the outside of the throttle body where the hose fits to make the hose easier to slide on and re-attach the hose.

When you start the engine, it may run a little rough and smoke a little, let the engine run until it dissipates and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray! I did what you said and it is more better now.

Reply to
badgolferman

You're welcome! BTW, the problem may come back in a week or so - clean the throttle body out again and it should be good for a long time.

Reply to
Ray O