Gas pedal sticking -- 99 Camry

I've run into a problem that I can't seem to find the answer to. My wife says her 99 Camry gas pedal sticks sometimes.

When I change the oil, I spray silicone at the carb end and as much of the gas pedal as I can get to. When I move the carb linkage I don't feel any binding at all.

Has anyone else here run into this problem and if so, what did you do to solve it ???? Thanks

Joey

Reply to
Joey

It's pretty common problem. Clean the throttle body with a spray cleaner you can get at Walmart or a auto parts store. You have to take the air duct off the front of the body, and clean the TB and throttle plate on both sides.

Reply to
Tom in Macon

Have you checked the floor mat? I had problems with my manual transmission Pontiac Vibe not starting after I replaced the floor mats, and it turns out the mat was sliding up behind the clutch and preventing it from engaging all the way. Some trimming and using the little floor-mat-hooks solved the problem, but only after an embarrasing day at the dealership. Oops. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
andynewhouse

I think part of your problem is that your Camry does not have a carburetor because it is fuel-injected. Also, do not use silicone spray because it can leave a film.

The cause of the sticking pedal is a buildup of varnish on the inside of the throttle body. To find the throttle body, follow the black intake tube from the air filter to the throttle body where the linkage enters the throttle body. Remove the black tube and look inside the throttle body. You will see the throttle plate with a pivot in the middle. Spray carburetor cleaner (I know, I said you don't have a carburetor but carb cleaner is the best stuff to use) where the pivot penetrates the throttle body and where the throttle plate contacts the inside walls of the throttle body. Use paper towels or rags to wipe out the dissolved deposits.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks a million for the advice, that's not where I probably would have ended up checking. Will give it a try.

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
Joey

You're welcome and good luck! Let us know how the project turns out.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray,

I sprayed and cleaned that area with carb cleaner that was safe to use on OX sensors and it cured the problem. But afterwards I read the back of the can and it said "not recommended for fuel injected carbs". Did I use the wrong spray ??

Joey

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
Joey

They make two types of air-intake cleaner. One is typically called "Carb Cleaner" and the other is called "Air-Intake Cleaner. Rumour has it that regular "carb cleaner" is too harsh for the teflon lined throttle bodies in today's car (hence the warning). I know people who've been using regular carb cleaner for years without any problems - so I don't think you have much to worry about.

In the future though, you may want to use this (available at Autozone, etc.):

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Joey,

As long as the stuff is safe on O2 sensors and you wiped out most of the runoff in the bottom of the throttle body, you should be OK. When you spray the stuff, it disolves the varnish-like accumulation and pools in the bottom of the throttle body. If you let the stuff flow into the engine, the stuff might foul the injectors but if you wiped it out, yhou should be OK.

Reply to
Ray O

If you weren't a top poster, I'd have recommended that you simply buy a small can of the correct spray and re-apply since it'll clean up the stuff that'll eat away at the teflon.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Top poster ??????????????????????

Reply to
Joey

Thanks Nariv and Ray,

The car really smoked white smoke for about three minutes but it's doing fine now. I'll make sure I use the right stuff if I have to do this again. Once again, thanks.

Joey

Reply to
Joey

You'll get the white smoke no matter what you use. Make sure you change your motor oil according to the owner's manual or if you don't have one, about every 3,000 to 5,000 miles.

Reply to
Ray O