Gas usage on departure???

Maybe some of you who love cars can explain this too me. Do you lose more fuel if you take off faster from your location? i.e. intersection? Does it matter if you gas it or creep?

make sense?

Reply to
Go Mavs

As a general rule, the more quickly you accelerate to cruising speed, the more fuel will be consumed.

Another general rule is that the more quickly the transmission is shifted into high gear, the less fuel will be consumed.

In other words, if you accelerate too slowly, then the transmissin stays in loer gears longner, using more fuel. The most fuel efficient acceleration is where the driver knows the transmission shift points and backs off the throttle to allow the transmission to up-shift. The most practical solution is to accelerate moderately.

Reply to
Ray O

I have actually been recently thinking about asking about shifting the transmission like that. I do it all the time and usually get about 32mpg combined city/hw when my car is only rated for 30. Not bad for a 17 year old Geo. I puzzled a friend of mine the other day when I told him my car was an automatic, but I drive it like a stick.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

The sooner one get to the vehicle highest gear, the less fuel it uses to cover the same distance. Technically an engine is most efficient at full throttle, albeit not the most economical mode however.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

THANKS

Reply to
Go Mavs

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O

Yup, and it does. "Jackrabbit" starts use more gas than slow, smooth starts.

But if you see a blue Supra behind you, MOVE!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

...or a black one. They just need to move to the left lane.

Reply to
Viperkiller

"Reasoned Insanity" ...

What do you do exactly? Do you move the gear shift lever? Or do you use a foot technique.

The reason I am curious, is that if you are using the lever, it only limits what gear it tops out at, instead of forcing it into a higher gear. Curious Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

What Jeff Strickland is saying is, in effect, defensive driving. When I was teaching truck drivers I used a combination of two tecniques, defensive driving and the "Smith System". I took Liberty Mutuals "decision driving" but liked the other two methods better. Situational awareness is the biggest part of both systems. What I found managing a large fleet of over the road and local delivery trucks was that the drivers with the lowest accident rates and least problems with their vehicles also had the longest intervals between brake jobs. I found that fascinating. Ron

Reply to
ronbon

I'd like to hear more about your method of teaching....sounds fascinating.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

"Jeff Strickland" ...

I agree with this completely, and practice this as my normal driving pattern. However, it will annoy some folks behind you that just gotta get to that red light as quickly as possible. I am hoping that as gas savings become more and more important, folks will adjust the driving habits. I cannot hold my breath for this, but I can hope... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

You're making the assumption that people are even aware that their driving patterns are wasteful. I think they are aware of the concept, but that they are blind to fact that they fall into a wasteful pattern.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks!

Reply to
Go Mavs

I use a foot technique and just let off the gas slightly so it goes up in gears when I want it to.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

"Jeff"...

I think that people fall into many categories, and many of them overlap. There are indeed the group that has no idea that wastefulness is a thing that can be managed. There is also a category of people that drive aggressively because they are aggressive as their normal way of life. There are likely hundreds of other categories that make folks be annoyed by other folks. The category of not being aware is certainly one that applies here. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

"Jeff Strickland" ...

Yep

Reply to
Tomes

"Reasoned Insanity" ...

This is a good technique and I have used it as well. It is one that not all folks can master. Well done I say. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

You must have at least a cursery knowledge of defensive driving. One exercise is to think about braking. Acceleration in a different direction. Every time you step on the brake it is energy lost which must be regained. To think that defensive driving is just a way to delay or hold up traffic is a fallacy. I was a very aggressive driver when I was younger but studied driving on long commutes. The best teachers on long commutes are poor drivers. Study them and learn what not to do. One exercise I did like from the decision driving course was each driver in a van, while driving, would comment on everything he or she saw, no matter what. Situational awareness. Some see everything, some see very little, but commenting makes you more aware. Good, efficient, drivers take driving very serious. Practice, practice, practise. As an aside. My wife was following me while delivering a truck and remarked, I noticed you don't step on the brake very often. It's been a long time since I taught but it's like riding a bike, you never forget. If your from Ma my commute was from Arlington to Raynham

8-to 5. My goal was to do the trip without using the brakes. Amazing what you can do when you are bored with the commute. Ron
Reply to
ronbon

I get about 100K on a set of brake pads, so I do some of the things you suggest. My '92 Corolla wagon has good engine braking which makes not having to use the brakes pretty easy.

Here in Florida it seems EVERYONE NEEDS to be in the left (high speed lane) all the time. I've found that the right lane becomes a great lane to practice driving smoothly in.

The only problem with using the slow speed lane on interstates is the fact that people don't have a clue of how to merge....

Reply to
Scott in Florida