General checkup questions, 1996 Toyota Tercel!

Hey guys........By the way thank you for all the help & observations on my oil issue. My mechanic gave me a bottle of dye and it appears the dye either burned up or hardly worked, he failed to tell me exactly how many miles to drive before testing so it appeared it was a useless effort. So I take it I'm back to square one with him telling me a quart every 1000 miles added is nothing.

Back to my main question. As I said a 1996 2DR Tercel with 130,000 miles on it.

I am the original owner & feel I have taken care of this vehicle but just wanna know what I should be looking out for besides normal maintanence. I just recently replaced all 4 tires, had a wheel alignment done and he said it wasn't very far off (but did say something about an adjusting nut that was stuck and explains why my steering wheel is cocked a little) spark plugs & wires (not coils), oil change, air filter, gas filter, mechanic claimed my PCV valve was fine. My radiator will be replaced on Monday as he is concerned with the rust & it is the original factory one so it's time I think.........;0) I did do a timing belt replacement at 60k miles but am 10k miles overdue and my mechanic suggested while replacing the belt to go ahead & replace water pump while the engine is in the belt replacement position, I assume he's correct? I do want to get my belts replaced as they are screaching in the cold but they still look good but can be decieving? I don't like the screeching and have no idea why it does that.

Anyway, anything else I should do or look out for?

Reply to
ByTor

Yes, it is time to change the water pump along with the timing belt.

Fan belts are doing good to last 60K miles. Sounds like your due.

1K miles per quart is less than desirable, but still acceptable. I'm dealing with similar consumption on a '95 Buick Century. Adding a can of goo at oil changes helps. My personal rule of thumb is when the engine gets down to 1 quart per tank of gas...

I'd keep a spare alternator and starter handy. I found both for my '07 Yaris at very reasonable prices on eBay.

Reply to
Michael Golden

I didn't have a problem with belt noise with my Tercel -- but my 07 Corolla was making some squealing noise during one summer. I couldn't see anything wrong and thought is was the water pump making noise. I took it to the dealer and they checked it out finding no problem. As near as they could figure it, there was a lot of fog and high humidity around the time I was having the noise problem. I only travel short distances so the belts never really dried up well enough during my trips. As soon was the weather changed the problem went away and never returned since.

Reply to
GM homepc

The pattern seems to be the *cold* lately. Haven't really pin pointed anything specific but the last few times it screeched was only minutes after I started it & took off..........;0)

Thanks for the comments.

Reply to
ByTor

Yeah, I don't like the idea of being stranded on the road if the belt snaps.........;0)

I'm not sure when I replaced them, 14yrs is a long time to remember things......LMAO........For all I know they may be original but I doubt it.

I have been told by many that my issue is sorta acceptable but it's just a nagging thing for me, if it's as simple as a seal than I can fix it with minimal expense but the few mechanics I visited nobody seems to wanna bother trouble shooting the issue so I never have a REAL answer, leaking or burning. Leaking is something easy to tolerate, burning is another issue.

I'm sure yer correct here, this car is spectacular & has been very very good to me but eventually some things will die...........;0)

Thanks fer yer help.

Reply to
ByTor