Getting amazing MPG all of a sudden

93 corolla wagon 7afe:

I wish I know what was going on now, and how to keep it going on.

Remember I was saying that this car usually gets 25-30 MPG? Sometimes down to 22 MPG for no apparent reason?

Well all of a sudden, the last 2 weeks, it's gone way up, with NO changes in my driving habits.

This last 2 tankfuls, I got 28.5 MPG and 30.5 MPG, with about half city and half highway driving!

It makes no sense. I'm not complaining, I'd just like to know how to keep this going. And I SWEAR I'm not driving any differently, in fact I was lightest on the gas pedal when the darn stuff was $3.65 a gallon.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

I had that situation a few times so I experimented. I was filling up at a gas station where I was working, I forgot the name, some stupid chain of course, I noticed I was getting like 24-26mpg. I knew something was wrong with how often I was filling up. I started to refill up at my locally owned non chain gas station & clocked like 3 fillups, I don't think I did any wrong math I was getting 36mpg & still do. I have a 1996 Toyota Tercel, what kills me is the great gas mileage after 12 years from a NON HYBRID car......12 years!!!!.....What's the best a hybrid getting these days 30? I'm not a chemist but Charles did mention mixture, I think it has a lot do do with the percentage.

Reply to
ByTor

Where did you get THAT information?

53mpg at 73mp, cruise control, in June, A/C on at MY comfort level, driving 6 hours straight.

You have plainly decided that hybrids must not be worth it, and you will invent anything you need in order to "prove" that to others.

Shut the f*ck up unless you have actual facts.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Ahhhhh name calling. It was a question now wasn't it noted by the question mark. Obviously by your level of response denotes lack of maturity but I will give some evidence of what I was reading. I mean I don't sit all day and research EVERY car, I have better things to do. There are different types of hybrids right.

Please do not reply, being that you are the expert here I don't think I'll be able to keep up with you.

Reply to
ByTor

Try more like 55.

Cathy

I'm not a chemist but Charles did mention

Reply to
Cathy F.

Technically... not name calling, but swearing at someone.

It was a question now wasn't it noted by the

You asked, "What's the best a hybrid's getting these days? 30?" Which, truly, was a ridiculous question. If that were true, what would be the point of hybrids other than super-low emissions??

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I really did not want a hybrid, but when we went to look at Camrys recently the saleman, who I knew personally, succeeded in steering us to a certified used 2007 hybrid that was fully loaded. So it was a choice of a new base Camry for $16,988, or a loaded 2007 hybrid Camry, still under warranty for $21,915. I would have still gotten the new base Camry, as I really don't care about integrated navigation system, leather, power seats, digital ash trays, butt warmer, etc., but SWMBO wanted the hybrid, and I absolutely refuse to look at a Prius. They took $20K for the Camry hybrid which was below the KBB trade-in value. Though I thought it was still too much, it was hours before the sales tax and VLF fee increase, so getting another $500 off would have been offset by the higher taxes and fees. Apparently the market for used hybrids disappeared when gas prices came back down, as the one we bought had been on the lot for four months. Ironically the used Prius market is good _if_ the used Prius has the carpool lane stickers since the state is not issuing any more of them; without the carpool lane stickers it's not worth buying a used Prius.

What I was surprised about is that the MPG on the Camry hybrid is so much better than the EPA rating. We're routinely getting over 40MPG in city driving, and it's rated at 33 MPG city (for the 2009, which uses the new, more realistic EPA numbers). The dumbest thing is that when you turn off the car, if you get more than 35 MPG for that trip, it flashes "Excellent" on the dashboard. 42 MPG on a car this big and heavy is way beyond my expectations, though we're not quite back to "two pennies a mile," ("

"). The big compromise on the Camry hybrid is the trunk, it's quite small because the batteries are between the back seat and the trunk. So if we do any long vacations with this vehicle I'm going have to get the Thule cross bars and use the car-top carrier, which I guess is a reasonable compromise for getting the higher MPG all the other times. Usually we bring along kayaks, bicycles, and/or skis and we use the SUV which is better suited to those items, so the small trunk on the Camry won't be a big problem.

Reply to
SMS

Keep it going by driving in the same weather and traffic conditions, speed, tire inflation pressures, driving pattern, vehicle payload, and fuel.

Reply to
Ray O

Low emissions aren't a direct benefit to the consumer. I have ordered a hybrid for safety, better milage, increased reliability, and better trade in value. The HH I ordered isn't going to give me 30 mpg, but it will be better than my current vehicle.

-- Ron

Reply to
Ron Peterson

Yeah well anyway you look at it it's an asshole way of responding.

First off I came off the top of my head & realized that even after that idiot decided to "react." A simple I think you are mistaken would have been fine with me & I would have conceded to being wrong. But this is usenet and I don't really expect some to be civil. Yes you are right, 30 is rediculous but after looking at the link I posted while some are high in the mpg some are avg it seems. So maybe I should have said 40-45 avg? My point is that I find it amazing that my "12" year old car gets 36 mpg and its a non-hybrid, thats all.

Reply to
ByTor

Based on your previous comments here, it was you declaring what you "know" to be "true".

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Hmmmmm. You've already decided that the earth is flat, AND you've made it clear that you are perfectly correct in that. That much you've shown in your previous posts.

I responded to an asshole. What do you expect?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

How is a hybrid vehicle better for safety than a non-hybrid vehicle?

Again, people are making shit up out of thin air.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Where did you get the idea that a hybrid is safer or more reliable or has better trade-in value?

The sole benefit is better mileage, and often the increased initial cost is never made up in fuel savings, even at $4.00 a gallon, unless you drive a huge number of miles per year.

I look at how complex the Camry hybrid is and I cringe to think of what it will cost if any of those systems go out.

Reply to
SMS

Yes. Although the '10 Prius is set to get more like 50.

My point is that I find it amazing that my

I don't; I had a manual Corolla in the 80's that got up to the mid-30's.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

If you want a vehicle without all the complexity of a hybrid, that still gets excellent mileage, one of the VW TDI vehicles is the way to go. If Mitsubishi had a clue they'd begin exporting some of their vehicles with their excellent diesel engines to the U.S., now that the U.S. has low sulfur diesel fuel available.

I could get mid 30's on my gasoline VW Rabbit, and the diesel Rabbit owners were getting 50 mpg back in the late 1970's early 1980's. But all these vehicles have gotten larger and heavier since then. The difference between the first Honda Accord and the current model is amazing. The original model is closer to a Honda Fit.

Reply to
SMS

I want a hybrid. Wanted a Prius in '04, but cost me more - even over 6 yr. ownership span - about $5K more than a Corolla LE with options galore. Didn't make sense, financially. OTOH... didn't predict how well a Prius would hold its value, & didn't predict that gas would go up to $3 & then $4/gal. for a cvouple of years there Should've bought it! Will now look at the '10 Insight & the '10 Prius once they're both out & prices have been determined. I'm siding w/the Prius, based on its features & reliability as proven so far, although cost-wise the Insight is tempting.

that still

Yes, this is true, re: size. My '04 Corolla is what a Camry used to be...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Not so. *Very* low emissions, & depreciation has been much better/less than the average vehicle.

and often the increased initial cost

This all depends what you are already driving bewfore buying one.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Thanks for the reply.......Have a nice day!

Reply to
ByTor