Giuliani takes on Billary

Giuliani takes on the person he will face in the 2008 Presidential race

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (June 27) - Republican presidential candidate Rudy Giuliani on Tuesday accused former President Clinton of not responding forcefully enough to the 1993 World Trade Center bombing or later terrorist attacks.

Photo Gallery: Giuliani Blasts Clinton Cheryl Senter, AP

On the campaign trail, Republican presidential hopeful Rudy Giuliani has criticized Democratic lawmakers and candidates, accusing them of weakness and naivete in dealing with terrorism.

The former New York mayor criticized Democrats, accusing them of weakness and naivete in dealing with terrorism. Giuliani made the comments to about

650 business, corporate and political leaders at Regent University, the conservative Christian college founded by religious broadcaster Pat Robertson.

"Islamic terrorists killed more than 500 Americans before Sept. 11. Many people think the first attack on America was on Sept. 11, 2001. It was not. It was in 1993," said the former New York mayor.

Giuliani argued that Clinton treated the World Trade Center bombing as a criminal act instead of a terrorist attack, calling it "a big mistake" that emboldened other strikes on the Khobar Towers housing complex in Saudi Arabia, in Kenya and Tanzania and later on the USS Cole while docked in Yemen in 2000.

"The United States government, then President Clinton, did not respond," Giuliani said. "(Osama) bin Laden declared war on us. We didn't hear it."

In hindsight, Giuliani said, maybe it's all clearer now, "but now is now, and there is no reason to go back into denial, and that is essentially what the Democratic candidates for president want to do: they want to go back, to put the country in reverse to the 1990s.

"I'm not blaming anybody back then," Giuliani said later in the day at a campaign stop at a Jewish temple in Rockville, Md. "What I am saying is, I do blame people after Sept. 11. Now you have to get it."

Last September, Giuliani defended Clinton's record amid political bickering over which president - Clinton or George W. Bush - missed more opportunities to prevent the Sept. 11 attacks.

"The people who deserve blame for Sept. 11, I think we should remind ourselves, are the terrorists - the Islamic fanatics - who came here and killed us and want to come here again and do it."

In his comments Tuesday, Giuliani said Democrats would abandon Iraq while giving terrorists the U.S. "timetable for retreat."

Giuliani remained aligned with President Bush in keeping U.S. forces in Iraq even as two more senior Senate Republicans - Indiana's Richard Lugar and Ohio's George Voinovich - in the past two days suggested the president's policy is failing and said he should begin bringing troops home.

In his Rockville appearance, Giuliani compared the war in Iraq to the conflict between Hamas and Israel.

"What happened in Gaza is a microcosm of what's going to happen in Baghdad" if the United States withdraws. "It will become something that inflames the entire region."

Democrats were quick to criticize Giuliani.

Speaking at Regent, Giuliani avoided any mention of two issues that put him at odds with conservatives - his support for gay rights and abortion rights.

But he acknowledged the differences indirectly, drawing warm applause from the conservative audience for doing so.

"Don't expect to agree with me on everything because that would be unrealistic. I don't even agree with me on everything," he said.

Giuliani acknowledged there is little difference between his position and the positions of those of other Republican candidates on terrorism and the Middle East, but said his experience as mayor of New York has prepared him to be better at handling presidential responsibilities.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

In message news:ovudndajBrtJOB_bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net, Mike Hunter sprach forth the following:

So I guess next year we'll get Ghouliani's opinion on Prince changing his name to that symbol.

"Rudy - 14 Years Behind The Times Since 1993, Or Is That 1979?"

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

If nothing better comes along I'll vote for him.

Damn sure not voting for any democrat.

Reply to
dbu,.

Not at all surprised you'd vote for the sleaze. He thinks Iraq was justified.

Luser.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Is that your opinion or an edict from the exiled shadow government called DNC?

Reply to
dbu,.

Richard Lugar is the latest Republican to split with the president on our Iraq strategy. I wonder who'll be next.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Just a facade, he voted for it. My take is things are going as planned. Nobody said it would be easy and we would take some casualties. I had more to say regarding any possible withdraw of ground troops and how it would be accomplished, but I think I will keep it to myself for now.

Reply to
dbu,.

I like your "he voted for it" routine. Smart people are capable of reevaluating policies with the passage of time. You should study the concept sometime.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

People never wish they could reverse decisions they made, based on knowledge they had *after* that decision'd been made?

Cathy

My take is things are going as planned.

Reply to
Cathy F.

Oops - screwed up attributions:

Should've seen dbu listed first...

Reply to
Cathy F.

But it won't change anything. You will see. The report is due in the fall, until then we will have to wait.

I don't follow you about your remark having to do with smart people. What's going on right now is really a no brainer.

Reply to
dbu,.

He's just responding to heated politics. He voted for it, he knew there would be a report coming from the field in the fall and finally, this statement Lugar made won't change anything. Go back to sleep.

Reply to
dbu,.

Your president changed course after his dad gave him better people to work with, like Casey. His dad did that to keep the family name looking good.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I don't know what you mean by that. Would this be another disparaging comment against GWB?

Reply to
dbu,.

You are allowed ONE error before you are brought before the pie firing squad, :)

Reply to
dbu,.

No, not at all. But, consider that Jeb's political career still has potential. Rumsfeld was beginning to sound like a raving lunatic, and making GWB look bad. He was replaced because Papa Bush was smart. He knows that if GWB leaves office discredited, it would be nice if the public didn't dislike the entire family. So, we have a sane man, William Casey, running the DoD. The Iraq study group contained a few other sane minds recommended by Papa Bush. You probably didn't recognize them because you were really busy back when he was president.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

William Casey, wasn't he in charge of the CIA and subsequently died of a brain cancer? I didn't know he was in charge of the DOD also, WOW what I learn from JSB.

I think you babble a lot JSB.

Reply to
dbu,.

Now THERE'S a shock.

Reply to
mack

That's a good fellow........you do that.

Reply to
mack

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote . Rumsfeld was beginning to sound like a raving lunatic, and making

Huh? Joe, are you having a brain fart? Casey died in 1987. Are you perhaps thinking of Robert Gates, the new secy of defense?

Reply to
mack