Glad to be back with my Toyota

Here's an example of the little things we sometimes miss in life.

I am just back in the UK (or got back on Thursday morning, when this airline security business flared up, so crept in under the wire, delayed 2-3 hours overall but otherwise unimpeded), after four weeks in CA and odd days in OR.

While there I made the _BIG_ mistake of trying Dollar car rentals as an experiment and got stuck with a Chrysler Sebring, which we do not have in the UK. People, listen up: NEVER have ANYthing to do with this POS. The Sebring looks okay from outside but inside is loaded with disgracefully lazy design points that made me look at the jokey "Dr Z" ads with a profound scepticism.

It is such a _pleasure_ to get back to my Toyota -- a Prius as it happens but I suspect this feeling would apply to any recent BigT model. Things are in the right place. I can reach for the door handle without falling out or bashing my head on the frame. At lights I don't need to crouch low over the wheel to see whether a red light has changed. It doesn't honk and wake neighbours when I lock it with the remote. The a/c recirculates cool air in the foot-well in scorching weather. The radio controls are logical. Insulation and finish are neat and effective. Etbloodycetera...

WTF are certain USian car designers playing at -- with or without Comedy Central Germans to boost sales?

(We now return you to your regular program(m)ing.)

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

I guess the Krouts did not like the Sebring either. Chrysler no longer makes it. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

For someone who is not a typical WASP-type, I'm surprised you use derogatory racial slurs so often.

BTW, check out the 2006 or re-styled 2007 Sebring at Chrysler.com.

Reply to
Ray O

...and especially the steering wheel?

Reply to
Fishface

If I must fly, would you mind my coordinating with you? :)

From my experience one does not go to Oregon for normal days.

Yes. Economy of operation is only one of the Prius's merits. I believe it was designed and built by individuals who knew their contribution mattered.

That said, the person who decided that invoking the defogger should require multiple screen-touches should be fired. Unlike the late Marty Feldman I must choose between looking ahead or rightward. Bother.

It belongs in the OED. Meanwhile, might we borrow it?

From "Business Week" (US, 21 Aug 2006, p. 16): "According to CNW Market Research, which follows the auto industry, 80% of new car buyers think Dr. Z is a fictional character." (Because hyphens are in shorter supply than petrol in the US, we can 't devine whether the errant thinkers are new-car buyers or new car-buyers.)

Reply to
Masked

I'm pretty sure the car I rented was a new one. The mileage was below 6000. But truly, it embodied so many really stupid design features, I'd not be prepared to give others from the same stable even the time of day. It's like with a troll: enough dim remarks and one loses interest in _anything_ the troll says or does.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Be my guest. But I probably swiped it from someone else.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

My post was directed Mike, who said that the Sebring was no longer being produced ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

Sorry. I tend not to see his burblings, or to skip them if they get quoted, so had lost that sub-thread.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Watch it honky ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That's Twinkie to you! ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

No, I said it is being discontinued ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I guess I don't understand what you mean by "discontinued" since Chrysler is launching a 2007 Sebring, unless you mean that the current generation is being replaced by a newer one.

Reply to
Ray O

Looks like 'Mike' is dancin a bit....

LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

You are used to your Toyota. If you owned a different car you would find it more comfortable too. Everyone likes what they are used to. No one is ever comfortable in a rental car.... even if it is a Toyota.

Reply to
Art

Rental companies get low end models. You would not like a rental Toyota either. Believe me, I've driven in a rented Corolla.

Reply to
Art

Some years ago I bought a used 1989 Toyota Camry from Hertz car sales. It had 27K miles and it turned out to be the best car I ever owned. Ran like a top. The only thing I didn't like was those automatic seat belts.

Reply to
"dbu"

You probably feel that what you say is irrefutably correct. But, besides owning half a dozen cars (carefully chosen and therefore at least "okay" by me), I have rented a few more over the years, mostly in the US [*], and I have driven them across considerable distances, commonly thousands of miles each. By now _I_ feel I know when a car is a POS, ie not merely inadequate. The Sebring fails my good design test in several ways (previously hinted at).

[* -- specifically: 1985, Oldsmobile Calais (reasonable, suspension bit sloppy); 1987, Oldsmobile Calais (ditto -- drove FL --> CA --> FL); 1997, Chevrolet Cavalier (placement of C pillar impedes rear view, ineffective door stays, works otherwise); 1999, Malibu LS (reasonable, though a bit of a barge); 2002, Saturn (superficially slick, clunky in places, okay overall); 2003, Mitsubishi Galant (boring but things worked); 2004, Pontiac Grand Am (mostly okay but dangerous placement of ignition key such as to "knee-cap" one in an accident); 2005, Malibu LS (no great change from 1999 impression); 2006 June in UK, Ford Fiesta (functional, odd ergonomics); 2006 July/August, Chrysler Sebring (POS). ]

HTH.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Possibly someone before you used it to do jumps at 100 mph on the highway or somehow pounded it into junk. 8)

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

*heh* Then they also redesigned and rebuilt large parts of its interior (besides breaking the transmission, which had its own charming tricks, I hope confined to that individual car alone).
Reply to
Andrew Stephenson