Got Milk?

Looks like the milk industry has learned a valuable lesson from the oil industry - - get every seller to sell at the same price and you can make billions. When anyone calls you on it, you say, "It's a worldwide situation of supply and demand". And don't forget to blame it on the price of feed corn in a growing ethanol production effort.

What I want to know is how much milk is poured down the drain as unsaleable while still within the marked "use by" date? Same with chilled orange juice that's priced so high it won't sell - - is it offered at a reduced price? Never - - that would "ruin the market". To charge the high prices on perishable foods that they do, they have to make sure slightly out of date products are destroyed rather than sold at a reduced price. There ought to be a law against such waste.

How do I know about all this? - - I suspect it's what takes place, based on what I see at Flea Markets. Off and on, refrigerated consumables are sold at

1/4 to 1/3 the supermarket price. These sales are very popular and you better get there early. I've seen packaged meats, butter, cheese, and every kind of fresh juice for sale. There aren't very many supermarket managers, however, that will buck the system and off-load this still viable food to flea market sellers. To most, having a job is preferable to helping people in need.

And then there's the bread situation - - a 24oz loaf is getting close to $4.00 a pop. I shop at a place that always has one or more of the premium brands on sale for $1.98. I suspect someone will eventually get on the phone to all the markets and end that practice. But for the time being, it's a glimmer of sunshine in a rather dismal picture.

Reply to
Chuck Olson

Now I know I'm getting old. I can remember:

10 cent phone calls, on a phone with a real dial. 88 cents for a gallon of milk. 29 cents for a big loaf of bread, and 40 cents for the 'fancy' breads. 9 cents a jar for baby food. 24.9 for a gallon of gas with lead in it. I've lived in towns where you had to call the operator to call out of town. 10 cents was the fare for the busses on the CTA when I was small. Slyders for 7 cents, on sale 20 for a dollar. A big 16 oz box of potato chips for 49 cents at the A&P. Jiffy mixes on sale for 9 cents at the same A&P. Telephone numbers with real words in them, like Crawford 9591 and PUllman 5-8773. I remember when the Gemini program was exciting. I remember being operated on by being wheeled awake into the operating room and then they put this big black mask that smelled to high heaven on me, with big black rubber hoses and a big rubber black bag they wanted me to inflate.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

I remember all of those, in addition to:

10 cent tacos at El Tobrito taco stands 5 cent packs of gum 8 oz. vending machine Cokes for 5 cents, in green glass bottles Mercury space launches at 3:00 am PST 25 cent boxes of .22 ammo (50 rounds) party lines summer time 25 cent movie tickets, for two features having a major crush on Sophia Loren McDonalds raising burger prices from 10 to 12 cents 25 cent ice cream sodas, at a real soda fountain nickel ice creams at Thrifty Drug Stores respect for adults, shown by youngsters when everyone thought the U.S. was the best no silly lawsuits over "In God We Trust" or the Pledge of Allegiance
Reply to
witfal

Blackjack gum!

Yep, 5 cent "baby" one-scoop ice cream cones at "The Penguin" (a local ice cream parlour).

But I'm not old enough to remember the Pledge before "under God" was inserted.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I know how to fix the milk shortage in about 2 seconds.

Sell quarts at a reasonable price. I buy half gallons even though I can never go thru them before they spoil because doing so is still cheaper than buying quarts which cost almost the same as a half gallon.

Reply to
Art

Geezers, the lot of you!

We got 5 cents for the bus when we were kids, and we spent it on a bag of broken chocolate at the Met store. I think the lady topped up the bags. There might even be some left after we walked home. We were right off the boat, in 1962. On Saturdays we could get into a movie matinee for a nickel and we saw all the 'swords and sandals' movies.

Reply to
Jack

I remember McDonald's fillet o' fish 25 cents each. The first month after being married our natural gas bill was under $4. Pork ribs were 3 pounds for a dollar. Soda sold in quarts. And most recently, ice cream sold in half gallons instead of liters.

Reply to
mark digital©

Gee, we didn't have tacos in those days in Illinois, or illegal immigrants all over the state, either,

I just barely remember going from 5 cents to 10 on these.

Are you sure that wasn't the 6 1/2 oz bottles for a nickel?

Yep, we had party lines all the way to 1976, depending on where we lived.

I remember when 'Buckley's Plantation' in Roseland became Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Adults that didn't molest kids. If they did, other adults 'adjusted' their attitude.

Althought the American Communist Liberation Union had actually been working on undermining the American way of life since 1925.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Good point.

You're right. Mea culpa. Them bottles was tiny.

I vaguely remember that happening a time or two. Good catch. Too bad such adjustments aren't allowed now.

Without question.

Reply to
witfal