green cars

The May 2007 edition of Popular Science has an article titled Green-Fuel Guide where they give a description of gasoline alternative vehicles that they predict will be in use by 2027. They also give an estimated market share of these technologies and their pros and cons. I found it interesting and thought I would post it for those of you who follow such stuff.

Batteries: Pros - Clean Energy, High MPG Cons - Not powerful enough Est. Market Share - 30% Whether in hybrid form or alone, electric propulsion will lead the way out of the petroleum era.

Natural Gas: Pros - Clean, Abundant, Domestic Cons - Few pumps, Nonrenewable Est. Market Share - 3% This cleanest burning fossil fuel heats half of the homes in the United States. Why not siphon a bit off for your car?

Ethanol: Pros - Renewable, Domestic Cons - Energy-intensive Est. Market Share - 6% Corn-based ethanol won't meet our energy needs, but cellulosic ethanol could reverse its fortunes.

Diesel: Pros - Great Mileage, Available now Cons - Still made from oil Est. Market Share - 20% Its low sulfur content and sophisticated exhaust cleaners set the stage for a big diesel comeback.

Biodiesel: Pros - Clean, High Energy Cons - Limited Supply and Market Est. Market Share - 4% Already common in Europe, biodiesel could get traction here as well but it needs for regular diesel to catch on first.

Hydrogen: Pros - Zero Emissions Cons - Enormous Investment Needed Est. Market Share - 2% Hydrogen remains the gold standard for eco-friendliness, but its prospects are dimming as reality sets in.

Reply to
badgolferman

The normal operating pressure for a house is a lot lower than the pressure needed to fill an automotive CNG tank. There is a device available, IIRC for around $1,600, that can be hooked up to the home's natural gas supply to fill CNG Hondas. I think the process takes most of the night to fill the Honda's tank.

This makes sense, however the cost of fuel cells is currently so high and the technology to convert natural gas to hydrogen is probably not commercially feasible yet.

Reply to
Ray O

You can. Check out the new Honda Civic that runs on natural gas. You can install a device in your home that fills it overnight. Attractive since there is a 4K tax credit and you operate much cheaper. It's also the real load to the environment.

People seem to forget the added load to the environment by using all these batteries in hybrids. IF you add it up, they are actually less env.friendly.

Reply to
RT