Guess I shoulda left the pan on, eh? And I have NO IDEA how much fluid!

Actually, the filter was pretty cruddy, so I got a new one (screen, not paper) at AutoZone. Came with a gasket. There was no gasket on the pan, but I have been having leaks, so I used the gasket. Er, cork gasket that is...

The old fluid was a burnt smelling dark brown (and I mean DARK brown) but not black like I had feared the dirst time I looked at the dipstick. Of course, I've added about three qts over the past two years.

Put the whole mess back together and replaced 6 qts of tranny fluid, started it in neutral and let it warm up. Damn dipstick said, over full. Damn dipstick ALWAYS says over full. WTF?

Went to rehearsal, and since it was still 75 degrees at 9:30, I decided to go for a drive. About 5 miles out I started smelling what smelled like burning tranny fluid, but I noticed a garage was open and someone was welding, so I let it go. Three miles after that I can into a small town where there were street lights, still smelling that smell, and then saw the *CLOUD* behind the car...

Got home and saw where it was spraying out of the passenger's side of the pan onto the exhaust.

Now, I also used blue (clear RTV) gasket maker. Since there was no gasket, I'm wondering if I should just go to Toyta and get some FIPG. There was reddish/orange RTV on it before, and though it leaked, it didn't spray out!

Oh, and I *DID* go criss-cross with the bolts after locating the pan with the tranny. And I removed all the old RTV. And I put everything back just like it was.

Except for adding the gasket.

On the up side: throttle response was back! The car ran nice and smooth, and even though I have to move the lever through the gears, the shifts were just like they should be. It was (somewhat) like driving a newer car!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Next time, save yourself some money and just clean the screen in a parts washer and/or brake cleaner. The brake cleaner does not leave a film that can contaminate the ATF so use it even if you cleaned the screen in a parts washer.

FIPG is made from RTV, and is not meant to be used along with a neoprene or cork gasket. IOW, the application used a conventional gasket or FIPG, not both. If you have already applied some FIPG on the new gasket, the gasket is probably trashed and you need another new one.

Reply to
Ray O

IIRC, blue RTV is for low temperature applications, orange and red for high temp. apps. Orange may be overkill, but I think blue may not be enough for a transmission.

Also, a simple drain and refill of the ATF gets out about 1/2 or less. You might find a place that can perform a back flush of the transmission with the proper fluid. I do that about every 50K miles.

Reply to
Ed H.

Hmmm....NOW he tells me!

There was no gasket, and IIRC< there *IS* no gasket according to the TSRM...

And, I did clean the filter with brake cleaner, but it was pretty full of gunk...and when I saw the metal I decided to go with a new one...

Reply to
Hachiroku

This tranny is *WAY* beyind backflushing! I would be very afraid to try it...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hmmm....No gasket:

Hachiroku

Well, technically, there is a gasket - formed-in-place, and not a rubber, cork, or fiber gasket. Page AT-51 shows using the SST to cut the FIPG and Page AT-119 has a warning to clean up both mating surfaces and assemble the parts within 10 minutes of applying the FIPG or it has to be cleaned up and started over.

Reply to
Ray O

You shoulda asked first! Look at the bright side - now you'll remember the next time you have it apart!

Get brake cleaner, an old toothbrush, and a blower nozzle for your compressor. Give the old screen a generous coating of brake cleaner, loosen the stuff on the screen with the toothbrush, and blow it off. Give the screen a coating of ATF, wrap it in a few layers of wax paper, and seal it up in a plastic bag for the next time.

Reply to
Ray O

Is it safe to use a toothbrush on the filter screen? I was afraid to do that because the metal screen seemed too fragile, even though it was made of steel, and I once saw a screen with a tiny tear in it.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

$18 for FIPG?!?!?! And, saying "Ray O. sent me" didn't do any good...in fact, I think they charged me *extra*! (remember Gordon the Parts guy? He's still there...)

So, do over. I got the FIPG for trans pans, brake cleaner and new plug gaskets...here we go again!

Reply to
hachiroku

Apply it around the bolt holes really good, and clean up that messy garage you have the Supra in! ;)

Reply to
user

I think a toothbrush would be safe as long as you don't scrub too hard. My philosophy is that if you ruin something that you were going to have to replace anyway, you not really that far behind - nothing lost, nothing gained.

Reply to
Ray O

Boy, there's a name from the past! Tell Gordy I said hi!

Even though I am a big fan of OEM stuff, I would have used FIPG from an auto parts store.

As far as the do-over, think of it as a learning experience!

Reply to
Ray O

Whoa...there's no Web Cam attached to this computer...

IS THERE?!?!?!?

Hey, I'm getting to it! I did the upper garage (um, my body is telling me

*OVER* did) and spent yesterday taking it easy (diff oil change and tranny fluid change...that's a 'light' day!)
Reply to
hachiroku

I didn't trust it, although I could've gotten more for less.

Oh, yeah! NEVER USE A CORK GASKET!

I was questioning the cork gasket when I saw it. The filter for my Mom's Camry, same store, came with a neoprene gasket.

I've heard too many stories about cork either leaking or getting stuck, or just plain deteriorating.

Reply to
hachiroku

The holes where the bolts go in were all bowed upwards, causing the pan to not come in full contact with the bottom of the tranny...

Reply to
hachiroku

I used to have my 'transmission guy' (the one I HAD to have when I owned Fords) change my Toy transmission fluids.

Every time he changed my '92 Corolla wagon....it leaked a bit.

I got tired of hearing how it was leaking from the Toy dealer every time I took it in for an oil change.

Bought the gasket from Toy and did it myself. No leak at all!

I'll pay more not to have a problem later....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Me too, but there is not a gasket indicated for this tranny pan!

I would have gladly paid for the gasket if there were one. FIPG is the recommended 'gasket'.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Damn...I thought you meant a toothbrush on the pan! No WONDER it took so long!

Actually, scraped it with a scraper and then scrubbed it with Brake cleaner and a fingernail brush. Very interesting...

Melted the plastic on the brush enough to make the bristles fall out. Deteriorated the gloves I had to a gummy mess on my hands. Barely touched the gasket stuff I used yesterday!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I've noticed that cheaper cork gaskets are made with large cork particles and not much rubber, while OEM gaskets have tiny cork particles and more rubber.

I use rubber-coated gaskets that were $1 apiece from a transmission supply house.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly